Ex-Czech Polish MiG-29A Fulcrum - Trumpeter 1/32

Piero

What a quick and clean recovery...although it must have been painful! Too bad about the Techmod decals, they do seem to be a gamble...sometimes they're fine, other times not so much.

What a lot of extra work, but glad you carried on with it. It looks amazing so far.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

This model is cursed...

After the usual decal process of clear gloss, micro set and sol, again clear gloss and than clear flat... here the result.

29A_900 29A_901

I don't know what's happened... all decal's film is visible and extremely flat.

Before spraying the clear flat here's how the decals looked... they were fine to me.

29A_902

Now I'm very disappointed at least... I think I'll throw it away from my balcony at 5th floor... damn!!!

Never again Begemont decals for me.

Piero, that's quite a setback :o

I don't trust any decals adhesive for a long time, no matter what brand. I use Future Floor Polish as an adhesive, because the same has happened to me before. As soon as the decal starts to release from the backing paper after dipped in water, i add a drop or two of Future to it and make sure that it goes underneath the decal. It sticks very well and and no more silvering. I even place a drop of Future on the surface of the model to ensure proper adhesion. Future dries very quickly, so have something at hand to soak up the excess. 

Seeing that the decals are sandwiched between clear layers of varnish, you can sand them off with very fine water sandpaper, and apply new decals ;)

Don't give up, your model looks great. 

Cheers, 

John 

Apologies if you had previously mentioned which gloss and flat coats you had used.  But I use mostly acrylic paints, either Mr Hobby or Tamiya most of the time and then use Tamiya X-22 for the gloss coat (and then to seal the decals again) and Vallejo acrylic Matt Varnish with vallejo acrylic thinner and I haven't had silvering problems with the decals.  I'm sure other people here might have some good ideas on how to fix it, but would spraying some gloss coat over the decals get rid of the silvering and then use a different flat coat?  Sorry it didn't turn out how you were hoping.  I once ruined a big decal on the tail of a 1/32 F-15 with Walters solvaset that literally melted it off.

5 hours ago, dsahling1 said:

"I'm sure other people here might have some good ideas on how to fix it, but would spraying some gloss coat over the decals get rid of the silvering and then use a different flat coat?"

This sounds like it could be worth a try,......I would probably try this first and see if it worked.

Jeff.

Edited by JT68

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Piero - really sorry to read your last post on this.

I've just gone through the thread as I was looking for a Review of the Trumpeter MiG-29A - and your findings/corrections have been *really* useful!

What was the ending - a final flight from the 5th floor - or have you put it to one side?

Such beautiful work - a real shame about the decals...  :huh:

Iain