Ex-Czech Polish MiG-29A Fulcrum - Trumpeter 1/32

Piero

... and now all together!!!

Fuselage is completed with the two vertical tails.

29A_91 29A_93

The extensions with the chaff launchers has been reshaped and detailed using stripes of plasticard and pieces of PE.

29A_92

As you can see flaps&slats are fitted too: the positions of the all the mobile surfaces has been referred to many photos of the MiG-29A when is parked.

It's curious that the flaps are in neutral position, the control surfaces are a little bit in up position and the slats are a little bit in down position... why the control surfaces are a little bit up in both the wings?... with the engines turned off of course.

29A_94

2 hours ago, Piero said:

why the control surfaces are a little bit up in both the wings?

The only thing I can think of is that they are hydraulically actuated, and the way the hydraulics are connected means that additional oil pressure is generated by gravity which in the lines of the control surfaces mean they are being pushed upwards.

if that makes sence :mental:?

nearly close to put on some paint... but still some work to do.

The airbrake has been put on in closed position. The actuators has been reshaped and detailed too.

29A_96 29A_97

Some details has been added to the IP cover. The HUD frame is there but still no glass, this will be added after the painting phase.

29A_98

A very nice surprise were the plastic under-wing pylons: I was worried of the amount of work I should done because these parts in the M and K versions are wrong in shape and details.

Instead, in this box the pylons are almost correct in shape and details... so a little work here and the job is done!

29A_95

Now its time to paint the cockpit area and the frame inside the windshield.

CIAO!

Piero

Edited by Piero

Hi Piero,

You have done a very thorough and at the same time interesting work on that Mig and I was wondering if you have thought about what sort of weathering you will apply on the model. For example, did the Polish Air Force colours had the tendency to weather really fast and how well were these preserved by the maintenance crew?

The reason why I'm asking you this is because I am also in the process of finishing a Mig-29 (No. 10, "Blue"), though in smaller scale (Italeri 1/72) and I was wondering what sort of weathering I should apply.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Scale_artisan said:

Hi Piero,

You have done a very thorough and at the same time interesting work on that Mig and I was wondering if you have thought about what sort of weathering you will apply on the model. For example, did the Polish Air Force colours had the tendency to weather really fast and how well were these preserved by the maintenance crew?

The reason why I'm asking you this is because I am also in the process of finishing a Mig-29 (No. 10, "Blue"), though in smaller scale (Italeri 1/72) and I was wondering what sort of weathering I should apply.

Many thanks!

Hi,

early Polish MiG-29As were ex-Czech machines that retaines the original 4-tones camouflage for some years until they went to the overhaul maintenance where they were repainted in greys shades.

The original 4-tones camouflage of the Fulcrums was not keept very well.

The PAF's maintenance crews overpainted the Czech's roundels with blochs of Dark Green over the wings on on the vertical tails.

Under the wings they applied some Light Blue Grey, used on the side of the jet air intakes too.

And then applied the Polish markings.

So the camouflage got a heavy fading over the years until they were repainted.

CIAO!

Piero

Thanks Piero.

I guess I need to apply some short of weathering to my model. It is the "Blue 10", the one that was presented back in 1988 at the Farnborough Airshow.

The problem is that there are not a lot of photos that show this aircraft in actual service and therefore I am limited on what weathering effects I can apply or, how fast the two colours of the paint scheme have weathered. What I do know is that the Soviet colours tended to fade very fast.

Anyhow, many thanks again for your help Piero.

CIAO!

Bill

Hello,

the windshield has been glued to the fuselage: the fitting of this part is really good. Unfortunately I have no photo of this step... :blush:

Then I've spent a good amount of time to clean all the plastic parts to prepare for the painting phase.

The clear part of the windshield has been masked using Tamiya's yellow tape and some Maskol to seal the cockpit area.

Now I'm ready to paint it!!!

First layer is a coat of Tamiya X-18 Semi-Gloss Black: this has been sprayed in two thin layers with a pass of very fine grane sanding sponge between the painting layers and... wow... that's a MiG-28!!!

29A_101

Next step is spray a random pattern of Very Light Grey, Gunze H338 in this case, trying to stay inside the panels but without worrying... here she is with the marbled effect on.

29A_102

Tomorrow I'll start with the real camouflage... Hurray!!! :punk:

CIAO!

Piero

I cant wait for each post.You have a "style" that at I admire. When you changed the shape of upper engine nacelles I thought " this guys crazy" but you made it look easy. Cant wait to see more.

Edited by Hemi