TF-104G in GAF Service: Best book for detail images?

• 3 weeks later...

I got my copy of the DACO book. It answers a lot of questions ... and raises new ones.

Unfortunately the images of the ejection seat installation of the TF-104G shows only the C2 seat of a (presumably) Dutch two seater, not the installation of the MB GQ7 seats of the German ones. The limited photographic evidence I have, however, seems to indicate that the seat rails and associated support structure for the MB seats is different from the respective C2 equipped aircraft, at least in the two seaters.

A Google search didn't come up with conclusive evidence. If anyone can point me to some website or perhaps another book on the zipper that has some mor photos of the cockpit area in question I would be quite happy.

Thanks in advance.

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

2 hours ago, Derek B said:

Hi Rainer,

Not much to offer I'm afraid, but I found these:

https://www.i-f-s.nl/ejection-seats/

http://www.ejectionsite.com/f104seat.htm

https://www.i-f-s.nl/how-to-identify-an-f-104-starfighter/

If I do come across anything else of use, i'll let you know.

Cheers

Derek

Hi Derek,

everything helps!

I do have quite some info on the MB seats of the German zippers. But the seat rails and the associated support structure is a problem. Those items seem to be different from the C2 equipped TF-104Gs. And, whats more, in this respect the front cockpit differs from the aft one as well (of course there are more differences between the FWD and AFT cockpits, but those are covered quite well in the DACO book).

Oh well, before I can start a zipper build I'll have to finish the Viggen first. So I'll have a lot of time for some research ...

Rainer

Hi Rainer,

It is an area that I also need to understand for my HAF F-104 models, so we are both on a mission here! Structurally (as far as the cockpit itself is concerned), I would have thought that there will be little or no difference between the C2 and M-B GQ-7A versions, although the seat rails will either be modified or replaced to suit the seat type (and any other seat to aircraft attachments as required).

I think that I would like to examine the back of a M-B GQ-7A seat to examine the width and design of the rail slippers either side of the ejection main gun - this will indicate to me if the ejection main gun was modified to use the existing C2 seat rails or if it was the other way around? (I was once qualified to service M-B type 6, 7, 10 and 11 (Buccaneer, Phantom, Hawk and PC-9 aircraft) ejection seats, so this interests me! :) ).

Cheers

Derek

Hi Derek,

if you come across any conclusive evidence, please let me know.

What I have found out so far is the following:

C2 equipped TF-104Gs:

• the set rails are U-shaped
  • the structure on which the seat rails are mounted is quite different in the front and aft cockpits
  • the structure in the aft cockpit is very similar (perhaps even identical) to the respective structure in C2 equipped F-104Gs

MB equipped TF-104Gs

• the seat rails are L-shaped (at least the part visible above the cockpit sill)
  • the structure on which the seat rails are mounted is quite different in the front and aft cockpits
  • the structure in the aft cockpit is slightly different from MB equipped F-104Gs (but I don't have detailed photos)
  • Italian and German TF-104Gs seem to differ slightly in this respect (but I don't have detailed photos)

In simple words: It's a mess. Any information regarding this area of the MB equipped TF-104Gs is very much appreciated.

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann