Delta Dart

Dandiego

Yer giving me the urge to break out my old F7U vac, but then again, maybe not.  For the record, my USAF issued flight boots are black; my dad’s Navy issued boots were brown.  Not sure that even matters, but in the spirit of full disclosure.......

44 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Yer giving me the urge to break out my old F7U vac, but then again, maybe not.  For the record, my USAF issued flight boots are black; my dad’s Navy issued boots were brown.  Not sure that even matters, but in the spirit of full disclosure.......

Well I had a 50/50 shot when I guessed at the shoe color. Darn.

Dan

18 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

What kind of paint are you using that takes days/weeks to dry Dan?

Model Master enamels. For me this color takes days to fully cure. It is very thick coming out of the bottle. I can thin it but it then becomes rather sticky and takes 2 or 3 days before it can be handled. 

Here is my issue. I suck at painting. There I said it. I feel better now.

I never seem to be able to get find that sweet spot where paint mix, airbrush operation and skill all meet. Right now it is an old jar of paint meeting a finicky airbrush. I have applied a not so smooth first layer. In order to sand it smooth it needs to dry  to facilitate a hassle free sanding operation. Once I have sanded it smooth I will finish it by applying a very thin flash coat.

Some colors, and this is one of them, test my patience. 

I should probably strain the paint first. But I am worried that I will lose some volume and this is a large model. I only have 2 bottles, with a third on order. 

Painting has always been my Achilles, it continues.....

Dan

I does look really good though!

I used MM enamels for a long long time until my LHSs all stopped carrying the whole line, and I learned about the military lines soon to be demise. Ive never EVER been a fan of acrylics as I could never get the mix ratio, or retarder ratio correct. That is until I found MRP. I guess it still is technically an acrylic but it sure acts more like (and unfortunately smells like) lacquer. Im sure you have heard a lot of us drone on about MRP, but it really does take the all guesswork out of paint.

You just open a bottle, pour some in the air brush, and away you go. It dries to a semi-gloss sheen in a few hours and sometimes less. The flat colors they make, like on my DR.1 I handle within min actually. If you ever feel like giving them a try, you'll find how easy they are (at least for me they were) compared to mixing and thinning MM enamels.

Cant wait to see more of this one, especially with the other color elements! 

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I does look really good though!

I used MM enamels for a long long time until my LHSs all stopped carrying the whole line, and I learned about the military lines soon to be demise. Ive never EVER been a fan of acrylics as I could never get the mix ratio, or retarder ratio correct. That is until I found MRP. I guess it still is technically an acrylic but it sure acts more like (and unfortunately smells like) lacquer. Im sure you have heard a lot of us drone on about MRP, but it really does take the all guesswork out of paint.

You just open a bottle, pour some in the air brush, and away you go. It dries to a semi-gloss sheen in a few hours and sometimes less. The flat colors they make, like on my DR.1 I handle within min actually. If you ever feel like giving them a try, you'll find how easy they are (at least for me they were) compared to mixing and thinning MM enamels.

Cant wait to see more of this one, especially with the other color elements! 

Dan I echo this whole-heartedly. I switched to MRP last spring, and it was a game-changer for me. If I want to be lazy in my leisure pursuits...I can with this paint. It is way too easy to use, and the results are the best I've ever achieved. The smell, at least to me, was certainly no worse than what I got using some enamels. I have a decent spray booth, which no doubt helps, but if you are currently using enamels, I bet the smell will not be an issue for you. 

The F-106 is my Holy Grail....I've been following  this with great interest and can't wait to see it done.  You're doing some great things with it!

jp

1 hour ago, johncrow said:

Dan I echo this whole-heartedly. I switched to MRP last spring, and it was a game-changer for me. If I want to be lazy in my leisure pursuits...I can with this paint. It is way too easy to use, and the results are the best I've ever achieved. The smell, at least to me, was certainly no worse than what I got using some enamels. I have a decent spray booth, which no doubt helps, but if you are currently using enamels, I bet the smell will not be an issue for you. 

The F-106 is my Holy Grail....I've been following  this with great interest and can't wait to see it done.  You're doing some great things with it!

jp

Thanks for your advice on the paint. Between you and Brian I will need to give it a try on my next project. 

Easier is better.

Dan

10 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

I have an F7U vac as well. It may be next!?!

You never know.

Dan

She's big, she's bad, she's ADC Grey.

Ok, after a couple of days smoothing out the lumpy paint job I was able to re-spray today. Things went much better. I am happy with the overall paint job. Just a few blemishes to take care of.

trQ6n2y.jpg

iL3eR2C.jpg

Canopy

vuzM8nc.jpg

And the wing tanks. The white stripe will have a red stripe running down the middle. Also I always have trouble masking thin stripes like this, let alone getting 4 to look the same. So I 3d printed a scribing tool. It is the grey plastic thingie by the piece of blue tape.

s3tfSAB.jpg

No more work tonight. I will let the paint cure until tomorrow.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

This is looking fantastic now it has some paint on. Regarding Paint, I have got a tin of Xtracolor X138 ADC Grey for when I need it. Just need a 1/32 F-106 to use it on.....

By the way I listened to this recently and found me wanting to build an F-106 After.... Thought I'd share it as it will be good inspiration while working on this.

https://www.fighterpilotpodcast.com/episodes/106-f-106-delta-dart/

Cheers,

Mark