Delta Dart

Dandiego

Incremental progress.

Crude drawing of the planned squadron markings. While looking at the F-106 website and 87th markings there is a lot to consider. There are over 400 photos of just this squadron and over the 20 plus years that they flew Darts the markings changed, a lot. Mostly small details, like is the squadron badge on the tail or on the nose. ADC logo or TAC? Depends on the date. Even the size and details of the Bulls head change over time. With so many changes over the years it can be confusing. Lets just say that I will do the best I can to represent a "typical" jet.

gaAWcfR.jpg

Lots of work getting the bottom seams all sorted out. A few shims, a small amount of Bondo, and just the slightest smear of putty.

MHGHG92.jpg

3D printed "Y" bracket straddles the main gear well. Just a little putty. Things didn't really want to line up around the wells.

uxjsHI1.jpg

Preliminary work on the splitter plates.

4RdVkFu.jpg

Thats all, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

1 hour ago, CShanne said:

I had an outside hope for you to do the 49th FIS, that is my favorite, based near where I grew up :rolleyes: You are doing an outstanding job, I love to see it coming together.  Such a beautiful plane and your craftsmanship is fantastic. 

My reason for choosing the 87th FIS, more than any other, is because their markings are the easiest to reproduce.

Dan

The Century Series jets are the epitome of cool. :coolio:

I love the combination of "stone-age" vacform (which era I most definitely belong to) and future-cool 3D printing! 

Perhaps I'm weird, but I enjoy building a vacform; I really should bust out my 1/48 Dynavector Javelin and finish it. :doh:

Giv'er, Dan! 

1 hour ago, Dandiego said:

Wings and tail glued on.

First go round with putty and primer.

Lots still to do.

flbgJ1M.jpg

Thats it, Dan

Wonderful Dan, I like it very much (it looks a little like a very large Mirage at this stage!).

Cheers

Derek

Here is the latest things that I have been working on.

Pilot figure. I have extended his arms, they will be resting on the cockpit sill. F-106 pilots wore an Orange suit with green Anti-G suit. I suck at figure painting, go figure.

6K6KqaG.jpg

20wzA9N.jpg

Elevons. I have added a metal tab which extends into both the elevon and the wing.

OxWpMI0.jpg

Bend to the correct angle and slide it in.

RAhaarR.jpg

Adding some details to the main wheel well.

fa2nu1R.jpg

Working on the aerial refueling door on the spine.

0Oi3NCI.jpg

Elevon actuator fairings. Say that 3 times fast.

qVsQWVZ.jpg

Dan

Edited by Dandiego