Delta Dart

Dandiego

Some basic airframe progress today.

Here is my engine exhaust/nozzle/vertical tail support. Mostly a 3d printed item. However the grey thingie is the bottle cap from a bottle of Diet Coke, It might work, I'll let you know. The white nozzle is from the kit. I will try to 3d print a better nozzle.

1q2C02m.jpg

Next is the 3d printed nose gear well glued into place. I have also added, along the sidewall, a support for the cockpit.

kwg9DXm.jpg

Next is the weapons bay. This has been 3d printed in 2 halves and glued together. I have penciled in some marks for some of the interior components.

o6S9RQ7.jpg

When I printed this I included a channel along the top that will key into the fuselage keel.

U3viJkW.jpg

Thats all. Dan

Edited by Dandiego

16 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

I simply have no talent for a vac.  You're killing it however.  Go Dan go.  The nose cone looks a tad wonky to me, however?  Plans for that?  Maybe it's me?  

Troy not sure what you are referring to as "wonky". Is it the picture in the last post with the nose gear well? There is a bump on the upper nose that housed the infrared seeker. Is that what you see?

Dan

Hi Dan,  

Sorry, only in reference to the actual nose cone.  Looks a tad off for some reason?  Perhaps it needs to be a bit more round or and all in black?  I can't visualize it for some reason.  My issue only off the pictures???.

4 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Hi Dan,  

Sorry, only in reference to the actual nose cone.  Looks a tad off for some reason?  Perhaps it needs to be a bit more round or and all in black?  I can't visualize it for some reason.  My issue only off the pictures???.

Troy, only time will tell if I can turn out a accurate looking Dart. I will say that all of the parts when laid out over the 1:32 scale drawings that come with the kit are spot on. I am actually amazed how accurate everything is.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

I have been working on printing several parts for the engine/exhaust/nozzle.

First here is the new 3d nozzle next to the vac version that comes with the kit.

8EbspQI.jpg

Next is the end of the engine that the nozzle will attach to.

7LnNHzz.jpg

And together.

mp1pPvt.jpg

Here are the parts of the afterburner and flame holder. Light grey part came from the spares box.

Df9YTSq.jpg

5nLh70X.jpg

And all of the parts from one end to the other.

g3iHlZC.jpg

This is an important step as I needed to know how the back end of the fuselage was going to interface with these components.

Dan

Lots of progress on the wheel wells. I have been working on designing and printing the main wheel wells.

Here are some pictures. The first is the 3 different iterations. The first one is to check for size and fit. Second is slightly improved. 

The third is close to the final product. I have added internal formers and some details into the design. The 3 "wings" are to provide more support to the wing and for a larger gluing surface. I have added a circular support that the kit supplied gear leg slides into.

iBWSu4n.jpg

JcwNcGb.jpg

My printer was only able to print one half at a time. I am currently printing the other side. I will then print a 3 sided box that will slip over both sides and once glued form one solid assembly from one side to the other.

Dan

I have been jumping around with this build trying to get all of the internal components "roughed in" before any serious detailing is begun. I need to make sure the the main components fit into the fuselage without interfering with each other.

Next the intakes. First I wanted to add depth the these areas and also the plastic is very, very thin on the edges of the intakes. Adding an internal component will strengthen this area considerably

Here are the 2 intakes. One fresh off of the printer and the other dry fitted to the kit intake.

P7xzWAS.jpg.

Next is a photo showing how the 3d part slides into the kit. Note how thin and ragged the plastic is on the fuselage.

LV1Z0bc.jpg

lfwsJyx.jpg

How do you design this shape so that it fits? I traced the intake shape onto paper,  then take a photo of it and download to my computer. From there it is uploaded to Fusion 360 as a "canvas". That canvas is used to create the working shape and then extruded to length.  I have had an extensive learning curve to get to this point but things are beginning to click. Many of the parts needed for this build would have been very difficult, if not impossible, to produce by hand.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego