Rivets

Oldbaldguy

Somebody please help me out here.  We’ve lately seen several stunning builds that involved removing molded-on rivets from the kit only to replace them with aftermarket rivet sets.  Sorry, I don’t see the point.  I understand using rivet decals to add detail here and there, but re-riveting the entire airplane?  I guess I need some persuading ‘cause I just don’t get it.

Not to forget the other application for AM rivet sets, like at that New Zealandian AF Dauntless:

The replaced molded-on rivets were in the right locations, but sunk-in, i. e. small holes, while the AM rivets are raised. This changes a lot of the look and feels appropriate in places where the real aircraft used rised instead of flush rivets. This also allows some nice wheatering in places where the paint over the raised rivet heads was prone to wear, i. d. walkways, around hatches and access openings and so on.

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

1 hour ago, GrahamF said:

I'd love to know where they get their factory drawings from showing each rivet location. Drawings like that these days are held by the restoration companies if at all and are not freely available.

Graham 

Aircorps Library.  Factory blueprints for a lot of aircraft and other related items such as engines.

I for one am glad to see these rivet sets. It is just a way to make your model that much more accurate. Yes, they’re expensive, but if you want an accurate SBD and are willing to pay the money and invest the time, it is an option to consider. Personally, when I get a little more flush, I plan on buying a set for my SBD.

Just my view...

Bill M.

Well, each to his or her's likings.....it's your privilige, we all express our hobby "results" the way we see fit, just consider the fact that all of these scaled down presentations, are just THAT, a presentation for each of us to enjoy mainly OURSELVES, but because we'd like a comment on our peers account it will sometimes be important for OTHERS to look over our endresult and have a kind of "verdict" over it............oh well model away..........