41sqn Tornado - One Giant leap!

Mark M

so its time to work on the seats, i have 3 potential options

1 - kits seats OOB

2 - kits seats with the 3d printed kits world decals

3 - resin replacements

i-sQLXHpK-L.jpg

so i think ill give the kits world decals a try.... DONT!!!!!

first of all, they are not scaled for the italeri seats, they are far to wide and you cant cut them down without ripping them

2nd - IF you can peel them off the backing without ripping then will not stick in place, i had to stick them with varnish in the end, however this morning, they have come away and curled up

3 - they really dont look very good

i-RCKbGN8-L.jpg

so...

im donnw to 2 options, 1 try and peel all this off and start again with the etch harnesses from the kit or go with the resin option

The Hawk T Mk1 has a similar seat (Mk10) and the straps on these have had both colours  (bronzy green and green). I have also noticed the U/C legs on the Tornado in white (most used) or grey (rarer).

Great build :clap2:keep up the good work,

Bob.

Edited by Victor K2
spelling

so otday has been rear console day, the kit part has the moulding for the rear elecrtical cables, but no cabels, so....

i raided the wires box and i dont have anything thin enough so..

i raided my wifes sowing box, and have used white cotton CA'ed in place and then painted and washes, ive tried to follow photos as much as i can, its not perfect but it looks alot better

20210215_154332.jpg

20210215_154325.jpg

progress at last

first up holes to fill

i-jJ5BxD4-XL.jpg
i-KhwqRWk-XL.jpg

then all of a sudden i was up to this point with no photos sorry guys

i-WSzFJNj-XL.jpg

then work on the engines, however most of it wont be seen so ive skipped super deatiling them

i-s2mkJLk-XL.jpg
i-J8sg3b9-XL.jpg
i-2wZkhvT-XL.jpg

and thats where i am at the moment

i-Rc2Pdq8-XL.jpg

so today i thought id make a start on the wings, i was a bit unsure about flaps and slats, now in real life the flaps are only deployed to check intergaty and then are retracted before shut down or in maintainance. however it seemed a shame to waste all that detail so a bit of artistic licence

20210218_180305.jpg

the wing build is really easy and they are designed to move, although i wont be moving them, you have to aligh the pins otherwise the wing mounts wont fit, so anyone building this, build as if they will move otherwise you will have problems

20210218_180254.jpg

the eager eyes will notice ive added the actuators for the deployed slats, but i havent fitted them, and on the right wing ive left off the upper ?airbreak they will be added later in a slightly lighter paint, to simulate a BDR replacement

putting the wings in place is really awkward you need 7 hands and the smallest screwdriver in the world, i didnt have one!! even a screwdrive for repairing spectacles was too big, i ended up using a blade

20210218_182218.jpg

20210218_182212.jpg

the side are glues and its all weighted, ill let it dry overnight before i mate it to the front section

• Mark M changed the title to 41sqn Tornado - wings and things

well things really do seem to be moving on now, work began this morning on the fin!!

each 'vane' had to be individually fixed in postion and my god there tiny

20210219_133659.jpg

20210219_133709.jpg

from there its a fairly straint forward fit for the fin. I considered leaving it off until after painting, as the fit is that good, but opted no to in the end

20210219_183308.jpg

20210219_183317.jpg

a tiny amount of filler will be needed on the spine just behind the cockpit, but nothing much, and if im careful with the water soulable stuff and masking, i wont have to sand it

3 hours ago, FreightDog said:

I'm late to this, but brilliant work. Myself and my son are about to start a buddy build of 1/32 Tornados (he has the GR.1 I have the GR.4) and this will be an invaluable source of reference so thanks!

its a straightforward build, no real issues anywhere yet

sorry for the lack of posts but ive not been able to sit atthe bench for any length of time

anyway, build is done, no real issues

20210225_123950.jpg

then a little white primer, and while i was at it masked and painted the red band

20210225_140705.jpg

then finished masking and painted the tail, next up is the main body

20210225_151022.jpg