41sqn Tornado - One Giant leap!

Mark M

well ive finished this set of nights and this afternoon i made a start on the tub, according to my refs its admiralty grey, but as with everything tonka, fade, bdr and wear and tear changes everything, so ive made a mix of paint to base the tub on

and using ref pics made a start on the details, more painting, clear coats, washes and details to go

20210130_191948.jpg

so it was a long working week with not alot done, just a couple more shifts then a weeks leave

anyway, ive done some work on the gear bay, italeri give paint call outs gor grey bay and grey landing gear, this isnt correct, the bays are grey but the gear is white ( opoisite to hawks)

20210207_175058.jpg

20210207_175043.jpg

Hi Mark.

The nosewheel bay is looking great. As far as I'm aware, the only white on Tornado gear was on the early prototypes. The vast majority of RAF Tornados have a very light aircraft grey bays and gear.

Looking forward to more updates.

Cheers,

Tom

Looking good!

l learned to do the ordance first as well, after doing a 1/72 Hasegawa Skyraider (backdated to an AD-4) and really needed to push myself to get in done after the model was long finished.

With my A-6 I started out with it too, and worked per MER + 6 bombs, for a total of 3 MERs and 18 bombs...

Look forward to the next installment :)

2 hours ago, Tomjw said:

Hi Mark.

The nosewheel bay is looking great. As far as I'm aware, the only white on Tornado gear was on the early prototypes. The vast majority of RAF Tornados have a very light aircraft grey bays and gear.

Looking forward to more updates.

Cheers,

Tom

Well the photos in the mdf book shows grey bays and white gear on both a gr4 and adv  

Also my photos of tornados at cby show white legs so ill stick with it

13 hours ago, Mark M said:

Just spoke to a tornado engineer, the gear were in both white or light grey depending on the manufactur so either is correct

The first aircraft I worked on in BAe at Warton was the GR4, or MLU as it was back then. Every aircraft which left Warton after retro had very light grey u/c. But, it's your model...