41sqn Tornado - One Giant leap!

Mark M

Well i finally got there, ive managed to source all of the bits i need to start this project so heres what ive got

Kit

Airscale cockpit instruments decals

Resin seats (may not use these depends on the kit ones)

Litining pod (thanks to wunwinglow)

both the xtradecal and fantasy print shop decals (thanks to Phartycroc and Scotsman)

also im tempted with the storm shadow's from the Revell typhoon i have spare

metal pitol

i-K5ZBRtg-L.jpg

as for the exact aircraft, the plan is for ZA614 in the special livery, this is a photo i took a few years ago at RAF  Coningsby

DSCF0099 (2).jpg

all i have to do now is clear the bench so a few days before i start, and dont expect a fast build, im working 40+hrs a week on nights as a Nurse, more when i can

Edited by Mark M

As Coningsby is one of my local bases a few years ago I started building a couple of 41sqn models and it evolved into a side project of building every aircraft they flew, ive built about 15 different types. When my forum helps out Newark air museum and does displays I have a 41sqn section, last year I spent a good hour talking to one of 41s pilots and a member of my forum is an ex jengo from them too

Nice choice of topic Mark. 

Have you built a 41 Sqdn Phantom yet? 

As a nipper I got to clamber all over one. I had a chum whose Dad was a Chief Tech on the squadron. He gave my chum and I a tour one summer holiday. They were primarily a recce squadron at the time and we were shown some of the recce photos. Quite a buzz for a young lad.

One of the current gate guardians is still marked up as a 41Sqdn Toom. 

Getting back to the Tornado. Are the markings on the fin the same on the port side? The only photo I took of her is from the starboard side like your reference. 

Hope you get started soon. Is that the newest release by Italeri?

Cheers.

2 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Nice choice of topic Mark. 

Have you built a 41 Sqdn Phantom yet? 

As a nipper I got to clamber all over one. I had a chum whose Dad was a Chief Tech on the squadron. He gave my chum and I a tour one summer holiday. They were primarily a recce squadron at the time and we were shown some of the recce photos. Quite a buzz for a young lad.

One of the current gate guardians is still marked up as a 41Sqdn Toom. 

Getting back to the Tornado. Are the markings on the fin the same on the port side? The only photo I took of her is from the starboard side like your reference. 

Hope you get started soon. Is that the newest release by Italeri?

Cheers.

Yep got a toom in camo and been zapped by a German sqn

Lovely choice of scheme. I’ve spent many a day at Coningsby, indulging in photography at both ends of the runway. Sea this particular jet many times while it was deployed there.

I’m counting the days till I can do it all again. It’s been too long, and I enjoy the peace and quiet of screaming typhoon engines too much. My ideal day out, a morning at Coningsby, followed by the afternoon at Lakenheath. 

guys 1 question for anyone who has seen her for real and photographed her

are the insides of the airbreaks on both sides the same coloour, the reason i ask is i know 100% that the other special tonka from 41 had 1 airbreak white, then other was dsg