Trumpeter Eurofighter Typhoon B. Thoughts?

mpk

Hi guys.

The Eurofighter Typhoon B is available with 20% discount at the hobby shop.

Your thoughts are appreciated. 

The latest jet in my stash is a MiG 23. Seeing as the Rafale and Gripen are not offered in 32, why not the typhoon? :)

Tongue in cheek here , "why not the Typhoon." 

Because it sucks ! 

It is an aged mediocre design, built for an air superiority war against Russia in the late 1990's it probably could not have won.  

Now been "re-purposed" to carry a bomb or two as the RAF have deliberately dispensed with all the other more useful ground pounders , Tornado, Jaguar , Harrier .....which would have been far more useful in the past 10 years of sandpit wars. Yes you can flip it around the sky like a Spitfire , but the Taliban's air resources didn't require that dogfighting capability , and if it met a new Russian built aircraft (Su27/30) , it's lack of stealth will see it become toast quite quickly. At one point it was claimed as 82% as effective as an F22 apparently, wow that's confidence building . 

It has zero combat successes to boast of , and is only kept going politically to keep very expensive BAE jobs in the UK . 

And it looks like a half baked over Rafale ...it's not even a pretty aircraft .

To cap it all, Australia rejected buying them and stuck with F18's instead until the F35 comes on stream . Build one of them instead :) 

Edited by Panzerwomble

Well, anyone can love or hate a plane but the F-35 is the very last choice I would do to criticize any other western fighter ...!

To go back to the initial question, it builds quite well and looks like a Typhoon even if some shapes are not really accurate (the rear fuselage being probably the best example of such issues). The Revell one is cheaper and more accurate but more difficult to build.

From the research i had done back in the day the bigest PITA of the kit is the intake its really bad, nit in shape but in buildability. If you dont mind putting intake covers i think the rest was ok, well at least for me. 

I built the ‘A’ variant of the kit. I shoehorned an aires cockpit in, and left the gear up. The intakes are a horror show, but I managed to get a half reasonable look by using skinny sanders in the first few inches of the trunking. A pair of aires exhaust were also bodged onto the airframe. This kit was meant as a gift for my wife to build but she lost interest early doors, so I only stepped in to “just get it done” irrespective of its inaccuracies. A quick, yet attractive paint scheme was applied, and bosh! It was done.

Here it is. 

49807986658_e92c9c7e33_b.jpg

Would I recommend one? Not especially, it’s expensive for what you get in the box, and not particularly inspiring to look at unless you dress it up with a few aftermarkets and  pretty paint job. It’s one of those “it looks like what I’m building, so it’ll do me” type of kit. 

5 minutes ago, Scotsman said:

I'd always read that the back end of the kit was "out" but man that looks nothing like the Typhoon, Pete you did a hellva a job to get those Aires parts to fit

It’s so far out, it’s in another county.
A whole heap of sanding eventually made the cockpit fit. it’s paper thin in areas. I was so eager to get it off the bench, that I just threw it together. I’ve currently got a harrier in a similar state, again, after the wife decided it was beyond her mojo. She prefers the shake and bake. 

5 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Nice. I used to see MOANG Phantoms flying around here all the time. I really miss them too, as well as the Eagles.

Acronym Definition

MOANG Missouri Air National Guard

Is the above correct? 

On 1/15/2021 at 11:33 AM, Panzerwomble said:

And it looks like a half baked over Rafale ...it's not even a pretty aircraft

one mans old hag is another mans Red Rum, it's subjective. To my eyes it's a good looking aircraft - don't really care how good it is in air combat as I don't really want that to happen. As for the kit, I like the trumpeter kit and it looks like a eurofighter, again it's subjective but to my old eyes it looks ok and builds ok, I had fun building it.