any Fulcrum experts ?

Dave T

Without having my Yefim Gordon book to hand, I’d hazard a guess that you’d be doing massive alterations to shape of the fuselage spine down the length of the aircraft. The wings look like they’re shaped differently too, so another bout of major surgery to achieve. There’d be a bunch of cockpit backdating to do, to represent the technology of the era from which the ‘A’ came. 

sell M and buy A, this will be much easier, because there will be a lot of redoing and finishing new parts there. A detailed description will take a lot of time and text. In short, these are almost two different aircraft. In short, you are trying to make Bf-109G-6 out of Spitfire Mk1

Edited by Doctorgaz

36 minutes ago, Stokey Pete said:

Without having my Yefim Gordon book to hand, I’d hazard a guess that you’d be doing massive alterations to shape of the fuselage spine down the length of the aircraft. The wings look like they’re shaped differently too, so another bout of major surgery to achieve. There’d be a bunch of cockpit backdating to do, to represent the technology of the era from which the ‘A’ came. 

Also, the M deleted the upper fuselage air intakes, which probably changed the shape of the LERXs, the vertical tails no longer have the dispensers just in front of them, and doesn’t have the air brake between the engines.

Agree with the previous posters. Converting the later model MIG to an A-Model would be a huge effort and - ultimately - not worth all the hassle. The new Trumpeter Mig-29A has a pretty good reputation (although, as with all kits, that could well depend on who you read!). Certainly, it will be a great deal better than Revell's kit, which rumour has it was how Noah used up his spare time, whilst on the Arc.

Good luck with your build. 

Chris.   

As said above, the A and the M versions are two almost two different aircraft: cockpit, LERXs, auxiliary air intakes, airbrakes, wheel bays... and so on are really different between the two versions.

I'm building a Trumpeter MiG-29A and a friend of mine is building a Trumpeter MiG-29M at the same time... the plastic moldings are completely different, as the real aircraft are.

Unfortunately, there are some shape and size error on both the kits... as far as we are seeing the A kit is better than the M kit.

CIAO!

Piero

I did part of that exercise years ago. Initially I started from a Revell A and intended to use some of the elements of a M I got for a ridiculousy cheap price. Finally I used most of the M kit but all areas needed modification and the huge change is the central top fuselage. It is fully different on both planes. With the release of the Trumpeter A I would not recommend that conversion work to anyone!