Getting ready to start revell early mustang any tips?

dashotgun

3 hours ago, dashotgun said:

At some point i vaguely recalledpeople saying to use the tamiya early tail assembly instead of the the revell one. I have one but don't see the advantage.

I think that was the Tamiya tail with the fillet. There is no advantage to using the Tamiya fillet-less tail with the Revell kit. 

Radu

Yes the panel line on the top syncs up but then you would have to rivet the rest of the kit and build up the tail wheel box. I agree after sitting with it for a while. I cut off the tabs on the rear of the main section and sanded the back of the cockpit part side walls. there will be no gap. Careful clean up of parts is modeling 101. I also drilled out one bank of the exhaust again 101 stuff. Not to demean anyone else's skills but a lot of the criticism of fit is just not doing the basics i think then blaming the engineers of the kit. That explains why some had trouble and not others. I think it is amazing that the left over parts of the tamiya are just about interchangeable between kits says a lot about the basic research 

i wrote to amur about the flaps  so 10 dollars for the part and 6 for shipping   this is about 1/2 the cost of the model.  I am going to try rato technique on the flaps this will also  get rid of the slight wavy sink mark as well.  The model comes with tow sets of  flaps  one to pose them raised  and on down. Since the hydraulics pressure bleed on mustangs   eventually as the  ac sits the flaps go down  do I can practice  on the raised flaps.  here  is a link if anyone is interested  http://www.ratomodeling.com.br/articles/stressed_skin/  below is a  link  picture of the amur flaps  if I screw it up there is a backup.  http://amurreaver.ru/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/DSC_9788.jpg   Since I officaly started I probably should start an in progress page but will continue here for a time to get some additional advise

8 hours ago, dashotgun said:

what blue did you end up using  I have the eagle edition decals    in my box next up.  

I made a mix up starting on the Eagle Editions suggested mix. Don't remember exactly, just remember it included Model Master Chrysler Engine Blue & maybe Model Master Blue Angles blue (enamels)???  Thought it was too dark, so I adjusted the mix.

Edited by aircare84

Yes i went out and bought those paints a little scale model lightening is good the model is gorgeous. In the airport in Charlotte they have a huge Preddy display with multiple models including a 1/4 scale one i recall. He is a hometown hero

Nice thread I have two of these kits and have the resin flaps and replacement canopies so must get my finger out and build them sometime as my US contingent in the display cabinet is rather weak. and old.

Thanks to this thread I have also now got the KLP "how to" guide as well.

Cheers

Dennis

I was going to rivet the flaps and oil can them myself but realized that the ac frenasi is overall painted so it would be a lot of work for nothing. Just going to putty the sink mark. How did you that built it deal with fit lf the gun piece onto the wing i read there was a step there

19 hours ago, dashotgun said:

I was going to rivet the flaps and oil can them myself but realized that the ac frenasi is overall painted so it would be a lot of work for nothing. Just going to putty the sink mark. How did you that built it deal with fit lf the gun piece onto the wing i read there was a step there

Simple fill and sand, it's not that bad, you've seen worse.:coolio: