Getting ready to start revell early mustang any tips?

dashotgun

Did one back end of last year , mainly to have a crack at some NMF paintwork . The fit of wings to fuse was ok , not great but just about ok . If I built another I'd probably pay a bit more attention to that area. The rest of it seemed fine but TBH I've not a huge number of LSP builds under my belt to compare it with . 

Buying Kevin's book is a must.  I have it and it was EXTREMELY helpful, definitely worth it.

I think there are two big problem areas to address with the Revell kit, and then some detail places where you can play.  I've built two of the Tamiya and two of the Revell Mustangs.  For the Revell builds Passion Wagon is my latest build and I also did Lou IV if you want to take a look at those.

Problem areas:

1.  The canopy and windscreen needs to be replaced, and the Tamiya canopies fit ok but you will need the Revell piece at the back of the canopy since that is one area where the two are very different.  Advantage of the Tamiya canopy is the nicely riveted detail on the frame.  Aerocraft makes a really nice replacement set for the windscreen and canopy that I've used and worked very well.

2.  The flaps on the Revell kit have a fatal (IMHO) molding groove that runs the length of the flaps.  I highly recommend the AMUR resin flaps which capture the oil canning of the flaps perfectly.  

I discuss both in my builds.

The highlight for me of the kit is the cockpit, but it benefits from various upgrades.

I think the Revell instrument panel is pretty good and with some work the decal goes down into the instrument faces perfectly.  But overall, the cockpit benefits from the Barracuda cockpit stencils and placards and some resin bits from Eduard/barracuda and even some of the Tamiya cockpit pieces if you want. 

I have a LOT of extra pieces and decals from my Mustang builds if you need some extra bits.

Chris

When you build the internal cage, make sure it does not need shaving down a little so the fuse halves go together correctly.  Take into account of paint you will be applying to the cage and the halves.   I had trouble getting a good tight fit.  Others have experienced the same, others have had no issues.  

The cockpit section is intended to be assembled as a unit before the two fuselage halves are joined together. Make sure that the outboard surfaces of the cockpit side frames (the faces of the frames that touch the inside of the fuselage) are perfectly smooth and there is no raised flash around the ejection pin marks. In fact, it would do no harm to smooth those outer faces of the cockpit walls anyway. If there is any flash around the ejection pin marks, that flash pushes against the inboard faces of the fuselage halves which in turn makes the fuselage slightly too wide causing a tiny (but noticeable) step around the bottom of the windscreen part. You may want to dry-fit the cockpit-unit/fuselage/windscreen before you apply glue and if needed smooth those outboard faces of the cockpit until you get the correct fit. 

I see some people joining the cockpit frames to the fuselage halves first, but I strongly advise against that because it will cause difficulties with alignment. 

There is an error in the instructions indicating that the black "anti-slip" coating on the cockpit floor extends under the seat. The black area extends only to the panel line crossing the rear end of the opening for the control stick and the two holes for the fuel gauges. The rest of the floor behind that (and under the seat) is green. There is no need for the black  "anti-slip" coating under the seat.

Radu 

28 minutes ago, dashotgun said:

Thanks radu i was thinking of attaching the sidewalls separately as you described i know you helped design the model and have built several so your advise carries some weight. 

No problem. :) I do not know where that idea of joining the frames to the fuselage separately originated from. I cannot see it making anything easy. If anything, it complicates the alignment of parts. ^_^

Radu 

At some point i vaguely recalledpeople saying to use the tamiya early tail assembly instead of the the revell one. I have one but don't see the advantage. I may explore using the tamiya shrouded exhaust as well as hollowing out the revell parts last choice buying some hollow ones.

11 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Buying Kevin's book is a must.  I have it and it was EXTREMELY helpful, definitely worth it.

I think there are two big problem areas to address with the Revell kit, and then some detail places where you can play.  I've built two of the Tamiya and two of the Revell Mustangs.  For the Revell builds Passion Wagon is my latest build and I also did Lou IV if you want to take a look at those.

Problem areas:

1.  The canopy and windscreen needs to be replaced, and the Tamiya canopies fit ok but you will need the Revell piece at the back of the canopy since that is one area where the two are very different.  Advantage of the Tamiya canopy is the nicely riveted detail on the frame.  Aerocraft makes a really nice replacement set for the windscreen and canopy that I've used and worked very well.

2.  The flaps on the Revell kit have a fatal (IMHO) molding groove that runs the length of the flaps.  I highly recommend the AMUR resin flaps which capture the oil canning of the flaps perfectly.  

I discuss both in my builds.

The highlight for me of the kit is the cockpit, but it benefits from various upgrades.

I think the Revell instrument panel is pretty good and with some work the decal goes down into the instrument faces perfectly.  But overall, the cockpit benefits from the Barracuda cockpit stencils and placards and some resin bits from Eduard/barracuda and even some of the Tamiya cockpit pieces if you want. 

I have a LOT of extra pieces and decals from my Mustang builds if you need some extra bits.

Chris

thanks  I have the barracuda wheels and  the decals although I have 2 of those may save them for the  two cripes a mighty I am planning( have two tamiyas on the shelf).  I have a yahu ip.  I  emailed amur to see how much and shipping to usa.  Ihave  4-5 tamiya   canopies  have to take a look at the windscreen to see if I can live with it.  The beauty and the bain of the kit is it was  cheap I am trying to not spend so much $  on it though just for general purposes. Other then the completed photos here and elsewhere no one besides me is going to look at it much less notice these things

13 hours ago, aircare84 said:

Great kit! Builds up nice.

Couple of issues I had & will need attention;

Fit of the wing guns insert, fit of the windshield piece & I replaced the canopy with one from the Tamiya kit due to distortion.

Other than that, no issues. 

hj1Pgnh.jpg

what blue did you end up using  I have the eagle edition decals    in my box next up.