Favorite WW2 Film(s)

George

There are some great movies mentioned here that I'd forgotten about. I wouldn't even know how to start a list of my favourite Second World War movies, but here are some thoughts:

Battle of Britain ... I can only imagine what it would cost to film that now, with real aircraft...but fun to think about.

Dark Blue World ...thought-provoking film about Czechoslovak pilots and their war, and their sad fate post-war

Saving Private Ryan ... Saw it with military friends and their wives...it was pretty sobering

Cruel Sea ... such a typically British war film, understated, honest and real

Empire of the Sun ... an epic film, and a MUST for Mustang fanatics

Reach for the Sky ... Kenneth More is awesome as Bader, at least as the Bader legend...

Operation Crossbow ... a bit over the top, and not exactly factual, but dealt with the V weapons. Also Sophia Loren. 

Katyn ... not an action war film as such, but deals with the horrific massacre of Polish officers and civilian leaders and academics by the NKVD, and it's effect on those who were left behind. Hard to watch.

Finally, two I sort of group together...

Mission of Honour and Dywizjon 303 ... two completely separate films about 303 Squadron in the Battle of Britain, released almost at the same time, with some not very good CGI. A bit cheesy, and over-dramatized, but at least the story was told. 

And yes, The Train is an excellent movie!!!

Richard