Favorite WW2 Film(s)

George

For me it will always be the Battle of Britain as it was the film that gave me my love of aeroplanes.

To add to that I still think it tells the story well, you only have to look at the credits to see who were the advisors and the real aeroplanes..........

Funny that no-one has mentioned Pearl Harbour in the previous posts.

Highly recommend "The Cruel Sea".

I spent 20 years as an officer in the RCN and for a lot of days at sea we had this on an endless loop in the wardroom.

Great story and (we thought) pretty accurate depiction of life at sea.

Dave/Ironman1945

3 hours ago, ironman1945 said:

Highly recommend "The Cruel Sea".

I spent 20 years as an officer in the RCN and for a lot of days at sea we had this on an endless loop in the wardroom.

Great story and (we thought) pretty accurate depiction of life at sea.

Dave/Ironman1945

"Snorkers, good-oh!"

A couple of lesser-known films we particularly like:

"The Way Ahead" (released in the US as "The Immortal Battalion" I believe.

"School for Secrets", a fictionalised account of WWII scientific developments such as AI, Gee, ASV, etc, which culminates in a raid very similar to Bruneval.

Also

"One of our Aircraft is Missing"

"The Flemish Farm"

"49th Parallel"

And an honourable mention to "Ships with Wings": questionable storyline and excruciating sfx, but some great film of  HMS Ark Royal just before WWII, plus Swordfish, Skuas and Sea Gladiators among others.

4 hours ago, MikeC said:

"Snorkers, good-oh!"

A couple of lesser-known films we particularly like:

"The Way Ahead" (released in the US as "The Immortal Battalion" I believe.

"School for Secrets", a fictionalised account of WWII scientific developments such as AI, Gee, ASV, etc, which culminates in a raid very similar to Bruneval.

Also

"One of our Aircraft is Missing"

"The Flemish Farm"

"49th Parallel"

And an honourable mention to "Ships with Wings": questionable storyline and excruciating sfx, but some great film of  HMS Ark Royal just before WWII, plus Swordfish, Skuas and Sea Gladiators among others.

Forgot about 'The Cruel Sea', what an excellent film. 

Those Flower class Corvettes were heroic as were the men who crewed them. 

For me . . .

The Dambusters

Battle of Britain

633 Squadron

Journey Together

Appointment in London

I actually like the most recent 'Pearl Harbour' with the aircraft scenes, (B25 Dolittle raiders) and also the 1988 version of the Memphis Belle only because I was there in the film when they made it at the local RAF airfield, It was great to see all the aircraft and equipment . . . . the lads in uniforms etc

Ian

Netflix is running "WWII in HD" which is a documentary. It was fascinating, horrible, impressive, brutal, real. It has actors and a few of the veterans relating personal accounts of experiences only of Americans and their perspective, so by no means does it cover the full conflict. Seeing the film (in color) of the things that I had read about put the reality of the situation into my head much stronger than text or still photos. I believe it helped me understand my Father's generation and their experiences better, even having interviewed him and quite a few other WWII veterans about those times.

Tnarg

One of my favorites is “The Final Countdown” while not a true war movie it’s a great what if movie. For those who do not know the story, the USS Nimitz in 1980 is patrolling off to the north west of Hawaii in 1980. A weird storm transports them back in time to December 6, 1941. Faced with knowing that the attack on Pearl is imminent, do they attack? No one has declared war? What would the balance of power shift to if the Nimitz was back in 1941? Well, the storm comes back and they go back to 1980. Cool movie with lots of flying sequences.  Another favorite is 12 O’ Clock High.

Jim

3 hours ago, James Rademaker said:

One of my favorites is “The Final Countdown” while not a true war movie it’s a great what if movie. For those who do not know the story, the USS Nimitz in 1980 is patrolling off to the north west of Hawaii in 1980. A weird storm transports them back in time to December 6, 1941. Faced with knowing that the attack on Pearl is imminent, do they attack? No one has declared war? What would the balance of power shift to if the Nimitz was back in 1941? Well, the storm comes back and they go back to 1980. Cool movie with lots of flying sequences. .

Final Countdown was a REAL favorite of mine growing up!   The boat scene where the Zekes attack the pleasure boat, and the F-14s come in was priceless.   The only thing that always bothered me, was the ending. SO close to ending the Pearl Harbor attack! 

I agree with you 100%. Anytime I see a movie about 7 December 1941 I can believe it happened. And this movie had an answer. I liked the scenes with the Tomcats playing with the two Zeros and then having to splash them down. Lastly, the look on the Japanese pilot who was captured and returned to the Nimitz to see jet aircraft taking off... it had to blow his mind. Two other films I liked were 36 Hours and The Train. The concept of 36 Hours was brilliant. The war is over and getting top secret information would be given up with out any remorse. 

Jim