Favorite War Mini-Series

George

4 hours ago, ivanmoe said:

I’m a little surprised that no one has mentioned the different Das Boot series.

True, both the original and newer versions are subtitled, but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole lot.

Band of Brothers is marvelous.

Love the original “Das Boot” series, the sequel series, not so much...

• 3 months later...

‘Band of Brothers’ Sequel ‘Masters of the Air’ Has Finally Started Production

military.com/off-duty/television/2021/04/26

“Masters of the Air,” announced as an Apple TV+ production over 18 months ago, has finally, officially begun filming, according to an Instagram post from director Cary Fukunaga.

The very expensive production is rumored to have a $250 million budget for its 10 episodes, and filming the kind of big-scale war action featured here was impossible during the peak of the COVID-19 pandemic.

instagram.com

:thumbsup:

Juraj

Let's hope that "Masters of the Air" will acknowledge that it wasn't just the Americans who fought the air offensive in Europe (I'm not holding my breath on this one, however). Watched a documentary on this subject on Amazon Prime a while ago, in which the narrator actually stated that, for the last two years of the war, the US was the only country that bombed Germany. Utter, utter, utter garbage and a terribly disrespectful slight to the RAF bomber crews who fought and died during those years. The annoying thing is, this statement could have been checked with a one-minute Google-search. Incredibly lazy documentary-making, but representative of many US feature films and documentaries I have watched on the subject.

Chris.  

I suspect the show will focus on the American effort.  The Pacific series focused on essentially 3 USMarines; it was just telling a story, not trying to slight any other units or branches. Whoever wrote that the U.S. was the only country bombing Germany is wrong, we both realize that. It is hard to do any war doco without accidentely leaving some group out. When I watch Battle of Britain, I enjoy the film, not worrying that they never mention the American Eagles.

On 1/12/2021 at 6:34 PM, George said:

I enjoyed the Band of Brothers, followed by The Pacific and A Piece of Cake.  I wish there were more series on PBS like A Piece of Cake. Good news: The Mighty Eighth will be released sometime in the near future.

I don't know anything more than anyone else, but the "Mighty Eighth" has been sold by HBO and they will have no further involvement with it, which is bad news.

The production has stalled for a long time (so typical in the industry) and I am wondering if we really will see it.

I hope so!  If anyone knows anything solid, I would appreciate them posting it here.

Best series of this type without question is BOB.  I thought "The Pacific" was a huge disappointment in comparison.

The decision to break up The Pacific into multiple sub-stories from 2 different books was a bad idea that did not work IMO.

It would have been much better if it had focused solely on "With the Old Breed" which is as good a combat war record book as you'll ever read and really focus on the world of Eugene Sledge and his war.

In the book, he talks about how he and his buddies went from being young, patriotic, stupid, and eager for war, to being totally destroyed but wiser adults who kind of quit on America when they realized they were used as meat.

There's a line in there I'll always remember, where Eugene writes something like "there is no more efficient, gruesome killer on the planet than your average 18 year old American boy."

It's largely a question of setting.

Very powerful book filled with gruesome detail of how horrific war is.

Edited by ringleheim

6 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

Let's hope that "Masters of the Air" will acknowledge that it wasn't just the Americans who fought the air offensive in Europe (I'm not holding my breath on this one, however). Watched a documentary on this subject on Amazon Prime a while ago, in which the narrator actually stated that, for the last two years of the war, the US was the only country that bombed Germany. Utter, utter, utter garbage and a terribly disrespectful slight to the RAF bomber crews who fought and died during those years. The annoying thing is, this statement could have been checked with a one-minute Google-search. Incredibly lazy documentary-making, but representative of many US feature films and documentaries I have watched on the subject.

Chris.  

It’s a story of a few US fliers assigned to the US 8thAF.  It’s not a  historical documentary on the allied bomber offensive.  As such, I highly doubt it will spend any time on the RAF’s contribution to the war.   Feel slighted?   Simply find a Brit who will drop a quarter of a billion dollars on a miniseries devoted to Bomber Command.  

"Master of the Air" is an AppleTV production? Why the F**** is that? The other two were HBO. Now I'll have to subscribe to another #$&*^%$@#! streaming service to watch it. This is getting worse than cable TV was. I'm about to drop them all and just quit watching TV altogether.

Oh, and Apple can go to hades anyway.

Edited by BiggTim

18 minutes ago, BiggTim said:

Now I'll have to subscribe to another #$&*^%$@#! streaming service to watch it. This is getting worse than cable TV was. I'm about to drop them all and just quit watching TV altogether.

Oh, and Apple can go to hades anyway.

200% brother.....

On both accounts.   

On 4/28/2021 at 1:25 PM, LSP_Mike said:

When I watch Battle of Britain, I enjoy the film, not worrying that they never mention the American Eagles.

Really not a good comparison, to be frank, Mike. Let me give you a couple of examples of how American dramas treat the British involvement in the war:

A. Saving Private Ryan - not even a background glimpse of a British soldier. The only reference to the British comes when Tom Hanks is discussing Gen. Montgomery with Ted Danson. Hanks: "Monty is trying to push his troops through the German lines, but he is over-rated in my opinion." Ted Danson:  "I won't disagree with you on that one". The relative merits / failings of Montgomery are a little beyond my areas of interest, to be honest, but thanks for trashing the most famous British commander of the war, in one very short and ill-considered scene. 

B.  Pearl Harbour (I know, historical accuracy was never any kind of priority in this film). When Ben Affleck goes and fights in the Battle of Britain, his British squadron-leader says something like "I wish we had more pilots like you". Are we really meant to believe that ten more Ben Afflecks would have made any noticeable difference to the battle? The Brits are portrayed as demoralised and defeatist. The movie cheerful ignores the fact that B of B pilots (from both the UK and many other countries) often flew against the Nazis 3 or 4 times a day, for months on end. The pilots were often utterly exhausted but I have never read anything about them being defeatist. 

America's contribution during the Second World War was enormous and I fully acknowledge that. What I object to is American films and TV dramas often either make no mention or ridiculing the involvement of the British and all the other nations that contributed to the war effort. Russia suffered 20 Million dead and went through enormous deprivations to fight the Nazis. How many modern Americans would have any knowledge of that, now? 

Despite Hollywood's view of the war, America was NOT the only nation to fight.  

Chris.    

Edited by Confusionreigns178
Amending some information.

17 hours ago, BiggTim said:

"Master of the Air" is an AppleTV production? Why the F**** is that? The other two were HBO. Now I'll have to subscribe to another #$&*^%$@#! streaming service to watch it. This is getting worse than cable TV was. I'm about to drop them all and just quit watching TV altogether.

Don't forget the option of only paying for a month's subscription, in the assumption that Apple Tv will allow you to do that? I would have thought they have to offer that option, just to stay competitive with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc, etc.

I recently subscribed to Discovery Plus (on Amazon) so I could watch the new series of "Combat Dealers" (a BIG disappointment, but that's another story). One thing I would say about cancelling stuff on Amazon - they REALLY don't make it easy. I'm sure it's deliberate, so people just give up trying and keep paying their subscription, instead. Also, Amazon are TERRIBLE at informing what your monthly charges are - again, I'm sure that's deliberate. 

Chris.