how old is your oldest shelf of doom project!

dashotgun

I started the  tamiya spit IX   when it came out and went gangbusters but  despite the rest of the project looking great never lined up the  power egg properly and the front panels have  ungodly gaps.   it has sat all this time so  10 years.  I will finish it yet!   what is your storey

Last year, I finally finished an Aggressor painted Hornet that I’d started initially, some 15 years ago. I started with the purchase of a 2 Seater, which had a BB cockpit. I made a hash of that and threw the ‘pit away in a huff. It sat on the shelf of doom for 4-5 years until I sourced some replacement sprues, which ended up being from the single seat variant. A change of plan soon followed, with buying a bunch of resin AM for it, and a set of Fightertown decals. 

Over the next few years, I made attempts to dry fit, paint the resin parts, and mate them with some beautiful G-factor gear legs. I never quite managed a good fit, so I donated the gear bays and gear legs to a fellow modeller. 
Then, in 2018 came the arrival of our first (and now sadly, only) child. No more modelling for me, replaced with poop filled nappies and midnight feeds. 
My wife finally got fed up of seeing it on the shelf in its tatty box and half built fuselage. I was given the rather forceful ultimatum of “build it or I’ll bin it!) Fast forward to late 2020, it got finished at great speed, doing away with gear and load outs, in favour of just getting it off the shelf before it got trashed. 
Here’s the result.

50785865573_5a05e2c979_b.jpg

Edited by Stokey Pete
P*#s poor spelling check.

I recently finished a Monogram TR7 that had been sitting idle for almost 15 years. I think my next oldest is a Monogram F-100D that’s about ten years old. I never could decide on what markings to put on it. I started working on it again last month. I’m down to five Shelf of Doom projects now.

Ben

I started the  tamiya spit IX   when it came out and went gangbusters but  despite the rest of the project looking great never lined up the  power egg properly and the front panels have  ungodly gaps.   it has sat all this time so  10 years.  I will finish it yet!   what is your storey

Edited by dashotgun
spelling

• dashotgun changed the title to how old is your oldest shelf of doom project!

I really have no clear idea, but some had been languishing for over two decades. When I moved (six years ago), many of those were left behind or lost, so I sort of started fresh then, and since then, I've finished almost nothing, so probably have two dozen (or more), sitting around waiting for my return. Of the partials that did manage to make their way here, this may well be the oldest.

nMPeRE.jpg

hJhtWV.jpg

Scratchbuilder’s Me-410.  Started in 1997 after the first release of the kit was replaced due to all types of kit engineering issues.  I have upgraded it two or three times (e.g., spinners , canopy with frame, reworked propellers and the correct size tires). It is now a mostly scratch built kit. 

1993. I was in Taiwan studying for a year and bought the Tamiya 1/12 McLaren Honda MP4/6. I started it there and have moved it around with me ever since. I still work on it a little bit a couple times a year. The tires have dried out and are cracking, something I've never seen with Tamiya tires before. That's been the big roadblock to me finishing the kit. The current thought is to finish it with tires on one side only.  

Carl

1 hour ago, BloorwestSiR said:

1993. I was in Taiwan studying for a year and bought the Tamiya 1/12 McLaren Honda MP4/6. I started it there and have moved it around with me ever since. I still work on it a little bit a couple times a year. The tires have dried out and are cracking, something I've never seen with Tamiya tires before. That's been the big roadblock to me finishing the kit. The current thought is to finish it with tires on one side only.  

Carl

Ridiculous! I have a spare tire set I can sell you.