HK vs ZM Do 335

Thunderbolt

Modellers logic and posts from our past.

”Jeez why do ZM give you all that detail without a clear fuselage im not buying”.

”Jeez why do ZM give you extra clear parts to see all that detail im not buying”.

The logic of modellers that choice is somehow worse.

If anyone can ever make sense of it let the manufacturers know so they can.

On the two kits if you want a simple clean kit id go HK. However given the two kits are basically around the same price and one offers you a staggering array of detail including engines etc for similar money its a no brainer.

I bought a HK Destroyer and a Nightfighter as they are different and several ZM kits which are simply amazing. 

If you where considering opening any hatches id get the ZM kit anyday over the HK kit.

Value for money ZM utterly annihilates the HK kit.

Download the instructions for the ZM kit off the blog site its easily one of there best.

Just depends what your after.

3 hours ago, Darren Howie said:

”Jeez why do ZM give you all that detail without a clear fuselage im not buying”.

”Jeez why do ZM give you extra clear parts to see all that detail im not buying”.

The logic of modellers that choice is somehow worse.

If anyone can ever make sense of it let the manufacturers know so they can.

On the two kits if you want a simple clean kit id go HK. However given the two kits are basically around the same price and one offers you a staggering array of detail including engines etc for similar money its a no brainer.

I bought a HK Destroyer and a Nightfighter as they are different and several ZM kits which are simply amazing. 

If you where considering opening any hatches id get the ZM kit anyday over the HK kit.

Value for money ZM utterly annihilates the HK kit.

Download the instructions for the ZM kit off the blog site its easily one of there best.

Just depends what your after.

Doesn’t HK offer engines as well? What is the difference in engine quality?

I'm going to go against trend and vote for the ZM kit, precisely because it has all that extra detail.  I have the A-12 version in my stash and am looking forward to building it and I will be building it with some hatches open to display some of the internals. 

I understand the attraction of the HKM kit, and having built one of theirs, can attest that they are very good kits.  At the moment however, given a choice, I'm always going to go for the one with more detail.  As my eyes deteriorate, though, that choice may change.  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Michael

14 hours ago, Darren Howie said:

”Jeez why do ZM give you extra clear parts to see all that detail im not buying”... 

On the two kits if you want a simple clean kit id go HK... 

Well yes and no. ZM is clearly the ultimate extreme of the hatches-open, Swiss-army-knife philosophy of modeling, where it looks like the kit, however masterfully detailed, still needs final assembly. 

But average Joe modelers have not been clamoring for it; the semi-exploded look arose from competition modeling, to impress judges with super detailing. Tamiya first picked up on it, and now ZM, who cultivates a certain personal eccentricity for marketing, uses this to set his co. apart from the pack and he's gone down this route rather fanatically. 

Personally I'm not a fan. I like my plane to look ready to fly, not under major overhaul or a lab anatomy model, and often kits that do open panels don't do them well if you want them closed, the Revell 262's gun bays being a perfect example of probably shouldn't have given the iconic lines of the subject.

But to each his own. Personally I'd like a ZM Horton but can't justify the steep price for how I'd build it, ignoring 95% of the parts. It's basically a clamshell with bits but the kit is a hi-tech tinker toy.