Favourite build in 1:48/1/72?

Pup7309

Hasegawa J2M3 Raiden. It was perfect.

Aichi B7A2 Grace. Again a perfect kit.

Tamiya Spitfire Mk.V.

Pro-modeller PBY Catalina. I donated it to the museum at the Shrine of remembrance in Sydney.

Accurate miniatures A-36 Apache. 

Tamiya Bf-109 E3.

Tamiya P51-D.

Hasegawa Me-109G2. My 1st kit as an adult. JG 54 Hanns Philip winter camouflage. 

Tamiya He 162. One of the best fitting kits I’ve ever built. The old Monogram F-100D is probably my all time favorite. I like the type and the kit isn’t too difficult to build. I also had a ball wrestling with the Czech Models F3D Skyknight. 

Ben

My favorite build was converting the 48th scale Kinetic S-2 Tracker into a US-2B utility version.  Lots of work shortening the fuselage, adding new engine nacelles, adding vector resin engines, carving out windows on the starboard side, opening cockpit escape hatches, etc, etc.     That being said, the real joy was the process of learning more about this aircraft and recording all of the details on my build log.   

The real "176" crashed in 1978, in a nearby town from where I lived, while returning to the now defunct NAS South Weymouth, MA with a failed engine.   A few miles from base, the remaining engine also failed.  The pilots deliberately put it down into woods to avoid a nearby ball field and apartment buildings.  Both pilots died in the crash.   There was no info out there on this crash.  I submitted a Freedom of Information Act request, received the full crash report from the Navy.   The actual crash report was fascinating.   Flying Magazine picked up my summary of the crash and did an article on it.   Along the way, the son of one of the deceased pilots saw my blog and contacted me.  The crash info I put up on the blog was significantly different than what the Navy had told his family after the mishap.   I ended up meeting with him, his mom and brother.  The model is now in his home in a display case.   All in all, the entire process took a couple of years but it was well worth it.

IMG_6915_zpsgo93clcp.jpg