The Haynes Company to stop publishing books?

The Haynes manuals that I'm interested in are Aircraft/helicopter/space ones, though I do have one called 'Woman'. Still can't make head or tail of it.

I never buy at full price but do check out my local 'Works' for those about the £7 mark. Some are good, e.g. Wellington, Rocket (the V2 kind, not loco) & Stirling. Some are ok-ish e.g. X-15. Some are simply not worth buying or clogging up ones shelf space. e.g. Saturn V. Not even a measured plan in it! I don't want them to go though. a Victor and Lightning (EE) are in the pipeline one day I hope.

A great pity to see another publisher close, especially as book stores are alive and well.  My library is still growing.  I have a few of theirs and it was a great idea to diversify away from just car repair manuals, especially as cars are becoming more and more unfriendly to the home mechanic which limits the future of such manuals.  Workshop manuals have saved me a fortune over the years too, especially given the incompetence of so many "mechanics".  It's always a worry when you have to tell said mechanic how to do a job.... :whistle:

Cheers,

Michael

1 minute ago, MARU5137 said:

REALLY?!!

"EVERY MANUAL  BASED ON A STRIPDOWN AND REBUILD".

Made ME giggles  !!!

They certainly used to be - by Mr Haynes himself

My MG Midget one has had to be stuck back together through extensive use. But the all time classic would have to be the one for the Austin Mini. From memory it it often includes passages that went:

To perform this task you will need special tool XXX-YYYY which is available from your local dealer

If you cannot find special tool XXX-YYYY there is a drawing in Fig. ##

Alternatively, the job can be performed with two sockets and a large hammer

Real, oily fingernail engineering

Richard

I have the Haynes book on the Douglas Skyraider and am using it for my current build. I paid the full price (25€) at its release, a bit steep but I’m nuts over the Able Dog. The book is quite good and covers other aspects of the airplane than found on other publications, notably the engine and pilots’ experience. Great detailed photo coverage of the mechanical parts. Makes you feel you know how it works even (especially) if you’re not mechanically- minded ;)

I also own the Haynes book about the Fender Stratocaster but that’s another story.:rolleyes:

Edited by quang

12 hours ago, RLWP said:

They certainly used to be - by Mr Haynes himself

My MG Midget one has had to be stuck back together through extensive use. But the all time classic would have to be the one for the Austin Mini. From memory it it often includes passages that went:

To perform this task you will need special tool XXX-YYYY which is available from your local dealer

If you cannot find special tool XXX-YYYY there is a drawing in Fig. ##

Alternatively, the job can be performed with two sockets and a large hammer

Real, oily fingernail engineering

Richard

Too true ...The early ones were rellly like that , I have some VW air cooled ones from the 80's that  were almost to the level of "sneak into the kitchen and find the wifes cullender for the next bit " 

The more recent ones were just ofter cut down versions of the manufacuter's workshop manual and suffered for it .

@MARU5137 The real joke of that manual is the car they are sat it  , more likely to be owned by an elderly enthusiast rather than the you couple depicted . 

Edited by Panzerwomble

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I forgot adding that the ones related to RAF topics are generally very good. I just got for a very cheap price RAF bomber command 1939 to 1945 and Dambusters 1943 onwards. They were very good purchases. Accordingly I ordered the BoB one.

One that comes highly recommended (by Mark, the '109 maniac) is the volume on the Bf 109, which is on my Amazon list for a soon to be made purchase.

8 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I forgot adding that the ones related to RAF topics are generally very good. I just got for a very cheap price RAF bomber command 1939 to 1945 and Dambusters 1943 onwards. They were very good purchases. Accordingly I ordered the BoB one.

This is possibly because a Haynes employee is/was Jonathan Falconer (haven't seen him for a few years so not sure if he is still with Haynes but he was a commissioning editor).  Jonathan has written many books which are Bomber Command related.