Scale Modeling and History

George

I wanted to get a pulse from the blog.  Does military aircraft scale modeling want you know more about the model you built (service history, who flew it, the military campaigns it participated in) or vice-versa?  For me, it is both. 

For me, no.

I build models for the pure enjoyment and relaxation I get from the activity, building, painting, and finishing. Occasionally, I may build a rendition of an aircraft I have a personal connection with but it never goes beyond using a couple of photo’s of said aircraft, and sourcing parts to make

it look like the subject in the image. 

1 hour ago, LSP_K2 said:

I select most aircraft based upon cool schemes that I come across, and really don't care about the history at all. Same with armor, though when possible I do like to model vehicles from specific divisions, like Das Reich, Totenkopf, LAH, etc.

Kevin, hi. One of the ways I got my son interested in history would be to encourage him to read the brief historical blurbs about the aircraft we were building,  that most model manufacturers provide. From there, he went on to do more extensive research about the aircraft, and now he is quite the scholar on World War II. His horizons have expanded and he has a better perspective and handle about his present day world. I don't know how old you are, nor is it particularly relevant, but I would encourage you to do the same thing. Start by reading the blurbs; go on from there. Who knows, you may discover so many new things about yourself and your world around you!  

Cheers!

Reference is really not my problem, J.C. I have quite a large collection of good quality books, covering everything from WWI to the present day, I just don't let the history determine what I model, as a general rule. I do suppose though, that by default I do select certain subjects (German WWII armor, for instance), because of the basic time-frame, and therefor the basic history of the weapons, if that makes sense. I just don't get into the specific history of a particular battle, nor the specific unit or vehicle is all.

3 hours ago, mozart said:

I don't fully understand your question George, it doesn't quite make sense to me, but for me the history of the aircraft or the unit it served with is very important.  I never model "random" aircraft and never use the markings provided in the box.

What am saying is does history influences the models you make, vice-versa, or both?  It is both for me.  When I was a teenager in the 1970s,  living in the same town as WW2 veterans like Admiral Spruance, General Doolittle, and Navy Hellcat pilots who flew in the Pacific, having friends who flew Navy jets (A-4) over Vietnam, seeing television shows like the Black Sheep Squadron and movies like Midway (the Charlton Heston one), and reading books on the Pacific War influenced me (and no doubt others in my generation on this blog) to build aircraft and ship models from the Pacific War.  When I built them I was also curious to know what theaters the aircraft fought in and the men who them.  The thing is it doesn't have to be a military model.  It can be cars or popular culture vehicles like a James Bond Aston Martin.  So, I think scale modeling is a great way to connect with history and vice-versa.  And there are tangible benefits to scale modeling or even making balsa wood models.  It keeps our mind sharp.  There is an article from AARP that making models makes you smarter and improves mental health.  Here's the link: https://www.aarp.org/personal-growth/life-long-learning/info-04-2009/modelmaking-a-great-hobby-for-your-brain.html

7 minutes ago, George said:

What am saying is does history influences the models you make, vice-versa, or both?  It is both for me.  When I was a teenager in the 1970s,  living in the same town as WW2 veterans like Admiral Spruance, General Doolittle, and Navy Hellcat pilots who flew in the Pacific, having friends who flew Navy jets (A-4) over Vietnam, seeing television shows like the Black Sheep Squadron and movies like Midway (the Charlton Heston one), and reading books on the Pacific War influenced me (and no doubt others in my generation on this blog) to build aircraft and ship models from the Pacific War.  When I built them I was also curious to know what theaters the aircraft fought in and the men who them.  The thing is it doesn't have to be a military model.  It can be cars or popular culture vehicles like a James Bond Aston Martin.  So, I think scale modeling is a great way to connect with history and vice-versa.  And there are tangible benefits to scale modeling or even making balsa wood models.  It keeps our mind sharp.  There is an article from AARP that making models makes you smarter and improves mental health.  Here's the link: https://www.aarp.org/personal-growth/life-long-learning/info-04-2009/modelmaking-a-great-hobby-for-your-brain.html

I could not agree with you more, George!! 

36 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Reference is really not my problem, J.C. I have quite a large collection of good quality books, covering everything from WWI to the present day, I just don't let the history determine what I model, as a general rule. I do suppose though, that by default I do select certain subjects (German WWII armor, for instance), because of the basic time-frame, and therefor the basic history of the weapons, if that makes sense. I just don't get into the specific history of a particular battle, nor the specific unit or vehicle is all.

History doesn't determine what models I make.  For me it influences me as well as movies and television shows.  Sometimes meeting or chatting with personality figures can influence you to build a particular scale model.  For example, Greg Boyington would appear at air shows in the 1970s selling his biography.  Adults and children (especially teenagers) were fascinated with his exploits and even more so when he was the subject of a television show, albeit fictitious somewhat.  We all know Revell produced a scale model Corsair F4U-1A in 1/72 and 1/32 scale back then.  It's all good. 

For me they’re inexorably intertwined! I want into aviation because I was fascinated by the airplanes I built as a kid. I loved the history and reading about them so much that now that I’m retired, my second career is as a historian. As a result, most everything I build ends up being a research project that I enjoy as much, if not more than the build. I like nothing more than reading about an event and trying to recreate a snapshot in time. My 2 big carrier scenes are examples. My Hellcat build in the WIP section is another. But I know that’s just me and we each build to for our own desires!

-Peter

17 minutes ago, easixpedro said:

For me they’re inexorably intertwined! I want into aviation because I was fascinated by the airplanes I built as a kid. I loved the history and reading about them so much that now that I’m retired, my second career is as a historian. As a result, most everything I build ends up being a research project that I enjoy as much, if not more than the build. I like nothing more than reading about an event and trying to recreate a snapshot in time. My 2 big carrier scenes are examples. My Hellcat build in the WIP section is another. But I know that’s just me and we each build to for our own desires!

-Peter

I agree Peter.  I went to sea on warships and my avocation is political science with a bit of history for fun.  Similarly, almost everything I build is a research project of sorts.  The knowledge I gain from the build (including hobby tips) is passed on to others, including the assemblers, who was me over 40 years ago.    

History is probably one of the main reasons I model.  Not really interested in cars, motorcycles, or other non-armed stuff.  A little Sci-Fi has picqued my interest, but not a lot.

I like to research builds and learn about the crew whenever possible.  Only on one occasion have I ever built a scheme from a solitary photo with no useful captioning.  Researched it a lot...  but it lead to conjectural answers...  but I am still quit happy about it.

For me, the history behind the model is a huge part of the enjoyment.  If I go (well, we can't go atm, but you know what I mean) into a model shop, pick a random kit off the shelf, then try and build it as a kit without thinking about the subject, I have real trouble finding the motivation to finish it.  

Why?  Lots of influences, not least growing up in an area of England rich in aviation history.  Old airfields abounded, once used by the RAF and its predecessors and the 8th AF (names like Leiston, Bottisham, Bodney etc are not just names to me, they are real places I know); in-use airfields were still quite abundant, and there was often something overhead.  My Father started me going to airshows aged about 5.  Later I got really into history, particularly the second World War, as again I had grown up with it - both my parents and quite a few relatives had served during the war.   My aunt gave me an Airfix kit one Christmas, and here I am decades later.

Many on here may recall that back in those days,  kits had not just a few lines of history, but quite a few paragraphs; again, these had a huge influence.

I differ from @mozart only in that I do sometimes build a box option: but rarely, and only because it happens to be a subject that interests me.  Even more rarely do I do the box-top option.  One notable example will be my Wingnut Ships Camel, which is earmarked as the boxtop option - I've chosen this because the Tondern raid is historically significant.

For me, the model and the story behind it are inextricably intertwined, and the research is at least 50% of the modelling process.