anyone else notice a shortage of kits

npb748r

we don't do xmas presents in my house for me and the wife, haven't done for years now on the basis that we buy what we want when we want it so why bother.  So there I was earlier this week, blow it, about time I added to my stash so it can sit there and never be built. Always fancied doing a 1/32 FAA avenger - out of stock, no problem, I'll build my dad's Halifax only this time do it in SEA markings covering his time in India flying to burma in 1945/46, it was a mk VII so the latest review 1/72 issue kit covers that - out of stock. Oh well, always fancied going big, I know, the hobby boss 1/18 harrier - out of stock. Right, last one, 1/32 Texan is on my to build list - out of stock. 

Plan B - build what I have in the stash - most annoying as I like opening the post to those great big boxes. Is this all covid related or are we seeing more people getting into the hobby or more people getting into LSP kits ??

I think it's COVID related, personally. Production levels are down, and some companies are holding off new releases until things improve. Then you have to factor in shipping delays, and the COVID-driven spike in interest in the hobby. It basically comes down to increased demand chasing decreased supply down a clogged supply chain.

Kev

I'm down to 125 kits in the attic plus 15 in the ready locker. I'm beginning to panic! Building an average of 5/year I will run out when I'm 84.

Whenever I've gone to the local bricks and mortar hobby shop there are usually people asking about a good kit to start with and what colour paints are correct so possibly some are starting or returning again. Most seem to be picking up ww11 stuff (Airfix seem popular) so potentially gamers branching out? Hopefully good news for the future.

4 hours ago, Robthepom said:

I have noticed a shortage of Tamiya paints and supplies here in Australia, and no word when a re stock is due

Yep, the supplies are of more concern to me, although  I haven't been building much lately, when I was a couple of months ago, I noticed a shortage of common paints etc from the online stores I go to.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

With plenty of kits in the stash and with lockdown looming last March I put in a big order of supplies such as paint, glue  masking material etc and now starting to run a bit low so another stop check is needed fairly quickly I'm thinking, can't see us being out of lockdown till at least after Easter in April the way things are! 

Regards. Andy