Minicraft 1/144 MD-80

LSP_Kevin

Thanks, fellas. I agree that it's the closest, but is it close enough? Is there another paint out there that might be closer? If I go with Mr. Color 328, I'll likely not bother darkening it - unless it ends up looking totally wrong on the model.

Kev

11 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Thanks, fellas. I agree that it's the closest, but is it close enough? Is there another paint out there that might be closer? If I go with Mr. Color 328, I'll likely not bother darkening it - unless it ends up looking totally wrong on the model.

Kev

Hi Kev,

Always difficult to assess these things when viewing monitors! Taking in to account any likely scale effects (which would normally lighten a given colour more proportionally as the scale decreases), and based on the single image I can see of the aircraft, I would estimate that the Mr Color 328 is OK as is (I agree with you) - I find that gloss blues are always the most difficult to colour match because of the way they reflect the the sky colour on bright days!

Regards

Derek

4 hours ago, Derek B said:

Hi Kev,

Always difficult to assess these things when viewing monitors! Taking in to account any likely scale effects (which would normally lighten a given colour more proportionally as the scale decreases), and based on the single image I can see of the aircraft, I would estimate that the Mr Color 328 is OK as is (I agree with you) - I find that gloss blues are always the most difficult to colour match because of the way they reflect the the sky colour on bright days!

Regards

Derek

I think Derek's point on scale lightening is a great one.  To my eye, looking at your color photos of the Compass aircraft (and ignoring the decal swatch which is clearly not the same color), a full-density coat of C-328 is going to look very much like the photo.  The only other suggestion I might have is C-326 (USAF Thunderbirds blue) - it's even darker than 328, but not green like that Tamiya Sea blue.  But possibly too dark - it ought to be roughly the blue on this F-16

pozJs21Jj

That said, if 328 is a bit lighter, you can always say that your model is an in-service MD-80 where the paint has photobleached a bit, versus a newly-delivered bird...

How are these decals printed?  From the picture, the colour of the sample doesn't even appear to be consistent across the entire area, so that makes me think the colour on the sheet - and therefore the logo - may be off anyway.  The sample certainly doesn't appear to match the photo of the real aircraft as it looks "stonewashed".  The logos are small, so any colour difference is likely to be not very noticeable, so I would go with a colour that matches your perception of what you can see across a wide range of photos.  Having said that, if the all the aircraft Compass had were placed side by side, they might not even match eachother:)

Comparing the three colours you have sprayed, I think MrColor 328 looks the closest to the photo, and isn't too far off the decal sample in terms of brightness (i.e it's not too dark or light) although the hue is more washed out on the sample.

• 1 year later...

So, almost exactly 2 years after the last post, I've dragged this one back out onto the bench again! It's the build on my SoD that's probably the closest to being finished. And I really want to push on with the series of airliner builds that I started, of which only the Electra has been finished so far.

And it seems I made a little more progress since my last update on the build, even though I don't really remember it!

Bruekx.jpg

The fuselage sides have been painted white - though I think I might have to give them another coat, as it's looking a bit anaemic. I also painted the engine intake rings, and had masked them off, but the tape had come adrift over the last 2 years, so I'll have to do it over again.

The other thing I did was purchase some "3D" window decals from Authentic Airliners Decals:

prBFdH.jpg

They might seem a bit gimmicky, but I used them on my Electra build, and they really lifted the presentation of that build. I'm hoping for a similar result here.

Once the Buchon is done and this one becomes my main build, I should be able to finish it off pretty quickly, barring any of my usual disasters.

Kev

So I got another coat of white along the fuselage sides, and also painted the engine nacelles, which were previously in grey primer.

CLeKWF.jpg

However, the white paint revealed a number of flaws in the engine nacelles that I wasn't happy with, so it was out with the superglue and sandpaper:

2C78R4.jpg

8j1YEV.jpg

Tomorrow's job will be some more grey primer and a check of my work. And probably a repeat of the process!

Kev

37 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

I took the last MD-80 (83) off the Douglas assembly line for TWA many years ago in Long Beach, CA..  What an aircraft what a company.   

Looking good Kev.   

That's awesome, Troy!

Kev

On 4/6/2023 at 7:38 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

However, the white paint revealed a number of flaws in the engine nacelles that I wasn't happy with, so it was out with the superglue and sandpaper:

2C78R4.jpg

Kev

My very first thought? USS Enterprise!