Minicraft 1/144 MD-80

LSP_Kevin

Thanks, Alex - that's the bird! Really good images are hard to come by, but at least that one makes it clear that I'll need to use the flattened tail cone, rather than the rounded one. Before I commit, though, I really need to take possession of the decals; I haven't even had a response to my order yet, so I may need to be prepared to change course (or shelve the build).

Kev

I'm happy to report that my Compass decals are currently on their way to me, and I should have them by the end of the week.

In the meantime, I've got most of the airframe together now:

zXTZ0B.jpg

I may consider painting the engines separately, and installing them after painting, which is something I normally never do. Even if the join requires some minor filling and touch-ups, I think this still might be easier than trying to paint the engine nacelles after they've been attached. Lots of seam work to be done on the wings and fuselage before then, however!

Kev

8 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I'm happy to report that my Compass decals are currently on their way to me, and I should have them by the end of the week.

In the meantime, I've got most of the airframe together now:

I may consider painting the engines separately, and installing them after painting, which is something I normally never do. Even if the join requires some minor filling and touch-ups, I think this still might be easier than trying to paint the engine nacelles after they've been attached. Lots of seam work to be done on the wings and fuselage before then, however!

Kev

I just recently grabbed some of the utterly cool Vallejo acrylic putty, and it's absolutely perfect for filling seams around engine pylons and whatnot, Just wipe off excess with a water dampened towel or Q-tip (while putty is not quite yet cured), and bingo, perfect seam.

1 minute ago, LSP_K2 said:

I just recently grabbed some of the utterly cool Vallejo acrylic putty, and it's absolutely perfect for filling seams around engine pylons and whatnot, Just wipe off excess with a water dampened towel or Q-tip (while putty is not quite yet cured), and bingo, perfect seam.

Yep, I use that all the time, though I actually prefer Perfect Plastic Putty from Deluxe Materials, as I find it less gritty. But my tube of that dried up, unfortunately.

Kev

6 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Cool - I just received some of that but haven’t had a chance to use it yet (I suspect I may get my Tamiya P-51D entirely built without getting out any putty - the kit it amazing).  I will surely have a chance to try it out as soon as I crack into the Revell Connie though...