Minicraft 1/144 Electra

LSP_Kevin

I've circled back around to this Electra build, and decided it was time for a heavy coat of primer, followed by some remedial sanding, ready for the next round of filler:

ZrM26p.jpg

kv9TpQ.jpg

My primer of choice in this instance is Tamiya's Fine Grey Surface Primer, straight out of the can. This revealed issues everywhere, but it wasn't as bad as I expected to be honest. The worst spot is where the rear wings join the fuselage at the bottom, which will need more than sanding to fix. But that's for another update!

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

More filling, sanding, and priming on the Electra:

SVwxFj.jpg

Just a few remaining issues at the wing roots, and the rear wing/fuselage join underneath. I'm also waiting on some window decals to arrive from Authentic Airliner Decals in Germany, but that shouldn't stop me from starting the paint job when the time comes.

Kev

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2021 at 11:30 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

I'm also waiting on some window decals to arrive from Authentic Airliner Decals in Germany, but that shouldn't stop me from starting the paint job when the time comes.

My decals have now arrived, but sadly, I haven't touched this build since my last post. I'm hoping to get back to it (and all the others!) soon.

Kev

18 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

My decals have now arrived, but sadly, I haven't touched this build since my last post. I'm hoping to get back to it (and all the others!) soon.

Kev

Remind me what scheme you are doing with these decals?  I have this kit but hadn’t thought beyond just doing the scheme that came in the box...

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Remind me what scheme you are doing with these decals?  I have this kit but hadn’t thought beyond just doing the scheme that came in the box...

I'm doing a Qantas machine, the decals for which I already had (from Hawkeye). The ones I was waiting on were so-called "3D" window decals from Authentic Airliner Decals in Germany. So technically I now have everything I need to finish the build. Except the time.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just when I thought I was ready to make the leap to the painting stage with this one, and finally push one of my builds along, I notice that I'd glued all 4 engine fronts on upside down! :BANGHEAD2:  I suppose I should be thankful that I noticed before it was too late to fix them, as I've now sawed them off and reattached them in the correct orientation. They're all a bit of a mess, however, so I'll let the glue set overnight for a stronger bond, and then take to repairing the joins tomorrow. No photos at this stage, but I'm hoping to show some paint on this one soon.

Kev

Just popping in with photographic evidence of my reattached engines:

sqfMxf.jpg

You can see the white acrylic putty (Vallejo) that I've used to fill the gaps around the reattached engine fronts. I've also attached the landing gear (sans wheels), but I reckon I might have messed up the nose gear, as the model sits a little nose high. Perhaps fitting the wheels will address this. This is really never going to be a very good model, but I'm hoping no one will notice by the time it's done.

Kev