Airfix 1/144 737-200 BA

LSP_Kevin

4 hours ago, Alex said:

And to continue riffing on the airliner theme, I just ran into a whole now kitmaker I was unaware of - Eastern Express out of Russia.  Lots of 1/144 airliners. https://www.scalemates.com/brands/eastern-express--181  What's up with the Russians and airliners?

Be careful with Eastern Express. Their kits are best described as “rough” and are pretty expensive for what you get. Some of their newer releases are okay, but their older types have major accuracy issues. If you see one you’re interested in, head over to Airlinercafe.com and see what the forum denizens have to say. I have their Short 330 and 360 in progress, but they’ve both been sitting on the Shelf of Doom for a while. Too many better subjects to work on rather than beating these two into submission.

On a better note, Zvezda makes some great airliner kits.

Ben 

26 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

Be careful with Eastern Express. Their kits are best described as “rough” and are pretty expensive for what you get. Some of their newer releases are okay, but their older types have major accuracy issues. If you see one you’re interested in, head over to Airlinercafe.com and see what the forum denizens have to say. I have their Short 330 and 360 in progress, but they’ve both been sitting on the Shelf of Doom for a while. Too many better subjects to work on rather than beating these two into submission.

On a better note, Zvezda makes some great airliner kits.

Ben 

Great advice Ben.  I'm a big Zvezda fan, but will definitely look for some positive reviews before giving Eastern Express a try...

I've managed to sneak a bit of work in on this one, and opened up the wheel bays, ready for detailing:

kVbOFb.jpg

Building out a new wheel bay is more work than I have time for at the moment, so this will probably go back in its box for a while. Besides, Jens is kindly sending me a template to assist with correcting the windscreen shape, so I intend to wait for that to arrive before doing any more work on this kit (apart from maybe gluing the wings together).

Kev

3 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

A new 737-shaped distraction arrived on my doorstep today:

yfvBna.jpg

This one was in transit to me from Ukraine for 4 months! So it's good to finally have it. Must resist it, though!

Kev

Oh, I may have to get one of the kits...wish I hadn't seen it now! lol :)

Derek

6 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

A new 737-shaped distraction arrived on my doorstep today:

yfvBna.jpg

This one was in transit to me from Ukraine for 4 months! So it's good to finally have it. Must resist it, though!

Kev

How's it look from a quality standpoint?  Photos of the sprues...?

5 hours ago, Alex said:

How's it look from a quality standpoint?  Photos of the sprues...?

It's a typical short-run injection-moulded kit, with multimedia elements - mainly a small bag of resin parts and a small photo-etched fret. It also has rubber tyres, which I was quite surprised to discover. The only plastic parts I've looked at closely are the fuselage halves, which feature no locating pins at all, and will need to be treated like vac parts. The tail fin is a separate assembly, so will also have to be assembled with care. I'll try to take some photos sometime this week, and perhaps post them in a separate thread.

Kev