SBD-5 of the Royal New Zealand Air Force - Trumpeter 1/32

Brett M

On 1/6/2021 at 4:43 PM, Thunnus said:

Another beautiful build Brett!  I really like the New Zealand markings too.

On 1/6/2021 at 5:39 PM, D.B. Andrus said:

Super-Duper Outstanding!!

It looks real!

Nice l/g, too. ;)

Cheers,

Damian

On 1/6/2021 at 5:49 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Exceptional build, Brett! Congrats on a superb effort.

Kev

On 1/6/2021 at 7:08 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Man, what a stunner!  I'm not sure it would work on every build, but those positive rivets really put this one over the top, and they are a perfect addition to a model like this. Well done!!

On 1/6/2021 at 8:04 PM, LSP_Ray said:

That is beautiful! Can I post it on the website?

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

On 1/6/2021 at 8:30 PM, Uncarina said:

Brett, the best Dauntless build I have ever seen—and there’s been quite a few!

Cheers,  Tom

On 1/6/2021 at 11:53 PM, Tolga ULGUR said:

Excellent build and great pictures..

:goodjob::clap2:

On 1/7/2021 at 12:00 AM, dodgem37 said:

This is a Work of Art.  Great show, Brett.

Sincerely,

Mark

On 1/7/2021 at 1:08 AM, alain11 said:

hi

Wow !! this is the most impressive SBD -5 ever seen ,the "positive rivets bring a "reality" to the model  , hard to do thing better !!! congrats . no need to talk about the paint scheme , excellent choose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:goodjob:

Alain

On 1/7/2021 at 2:15 AM, MikeMaben said:

Museum Quality  :clap2::clap2::clap2:   Seriously  :thumbsup::speak_cool:

On 1/7/2021 at 7:59 AM, Panzerwomble said:

I enjoyed following the building thread very much , and the finished result ,well...... frankly I don't have the words to properly express my admiration, so just.... thank you ! 

On 1/7/2021 at 8:08 AM, Rod Bettencourt said:

WOW!! That looks great. Hope mine comes out that good. Thanks for sharing.

Rod

On 1/7/2021 at 8:36 AM, chuck540z3 said:

Brett, you should be VERY proud of this model!  It checks the 4 important boxes:

1. Quality of assembly, gluing, etc.
  2. Quality of painting
  3. Realistic weathering
  4. Differentiation from other models of this kit (eg. The extensive Archer rivets)

And you get an extra check mark for a really well put together, informative and well photographed WIP thread.  Congratulations sir!

Cheers,

Chuck

On 1/7/2021 at 11:19 AM, crobinsonh said:

Great job and superb finish - the rivets really make a difference. Would love it if Archer did those in 1/24th scale for the Trumpeter Hurricanes as that is the only issue that really stands out.

On 1/8/2021 at 2:14 PM, Zactoman said:

I found myself so distracted by the rivet work (in a great way!), that I had to take a second look to appreciate what a nice build this is otherwise.

Bravo!  :thumbsup:

Chris

On 1/9/2021 at 6:56 AM, The Madhatter said:

not much that I can say which hasn't already been said. But that is just awesome work Brett! Really enjoyed watching you bring this together. Your hard work and effort has really paid off

Can't wait to see your next subject

On 1/9/2021 at 8:12 AM, Archer Fine Transfers said:

What's left to say except that this is an exceptional build and thank you for your help in getting this rivet set tuned up and ready to market. 

Hopefully, I'll be able to get back on mine in the next few weeks.

Stay in touch!

On 1/9/2021 at 4:44 PM, Cicciuzzo said:

elegant and charming model. Good job:wub:

On 1/9/2021 at 10:51 PM, allthumbs said:

Echoing others, I must say this is the best Dauntless model I’ve ever laid eyes on...It looks like the real thing. 

Congratulations!

On 1/10/2021 at 1:39 AM, CZPetrP said:

Great SBD.

Perfect work with positiv riveters. You did a very nice surface.

Congratulation.

On 1/10/2021 at 1:48 AM, geedubelyer said:

Absolutely beautiful Brett. You have achieved a magnificent, balanced finish throughout and the whole model looks splendid.

And to think that back in the 60s and 70s kit manufacturers were producing plastic with raised details. 

Contemporary manufacturers could take a leaf out of your book Brett. Perhaps you will begin a revival of realistic surface detail rather than the pockmarked rivet detail that is popular now.

I applaud your patience and consummate skill. :bow::thumbsup:

On 1/10/2021 at 2:09 AM, Wackyracer said:

Oh W O W !, amazing, rivets are just soo good.

On 1/10/2021 at 2:49 AM, Greif8 said:

Great looking build Brett.  The painting is fantastic. 

Ernest 

On 1/10/2021 at 4:08 AM, MARU5137 said:

Hello Brett,

I have enjoyed following  your SBD Dauntless  Build thread which in itself was quite fascinating and thoroughly enjoyable. Love that its in New Zealand  colors.

:yahoo:

And seeing the end result,  your Dauntless  is one of the most  STUNNING and incredibly  detailed model I have seen.

The rivet work et all truly exceptionally done.

:clap2:

Everything  about it exudes superior building skills and it really is top notch of a build.

KUDOS.

:bow::bow::bow:

and I think I learned a lot from your" helpers"  Alan with his knowledge of The aircraft and Archer Fine Transfers... Rivets were amazing. 

:clap2:

On 1/10/2021 at 9:43 AM, monthebiff said:

Absolutely stunning work Brett, I really like your weathering, its spot on and really makes the ricet work pop.

Regards.Andy 

15 hours ago, Johnny Cloud said:

Truly an excellent model, terrific all around.

When I grow up I wanna make one just like it! :D

11 hours ago, MikeA said:

Absolutely stunning finish on this - and I love the NZ markings especially with the final bit of Te Reo added. Kia kaha indeed!

Hey everyone

just wanted to reply and tell all of you thanks for the kind words, they are definitely appreciated. LSP is  great site for feedback and everyone has been super helpful.

I wanted to throw out one critique myself: I used Alclad flat this time around and I wish I’d stuck with Tamiya. The more I look at the finish compared to my Corsair the more I think it’s too flat. But that’s me! 

Comparison

_DSC9132

_DSC8914

Thanks again!

Brett

Interesting comparison. I noted the same thing using Humbrol flat - it is really flat! For a different build, I mixed some Humbrol satin with it and got a slight sheen that I think looked better.

That said, I would think a weathered aircraft subjected to the Pacific salty air would get pretty darn flat?

Whatever, I think the SBD looks spectacular!! 

On 1/9/2021 at 8:12 AM, Archer Fine Transfers said:

What's left to say except that this is an exceptional build and thank you for your help in getting this rivet set tuned up and ready to market. 

Hopefully, I'll be able to get back on mine in the next few weeks.

Stay in touch!

You’ll have me as a customer when you release this. I have a box full of SBD goodies waiting for your rivets before I get started on my kit.

On 1/12/2021 at 12:34 PM, Brett M said:

I wanted to throw out one critique myself: I used Alclad flat this time around and I wish I’d stuck with Tamiya. The more I look at the finish compared to my Corsair the more I think it’s too flat. But that’s me!

In my subjective opinion, flat is too flat for aircraft models. I've found that a 50/50 mix of Mr. Color flat and gloss yields a pretty convincing scale effect finish. Go to a contest and compare and I think you'll agree. 

1 hour ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

In my subjective opinion, flat is too flat for aircraft models. I've found that a 50/50 mix of Mr. Color flat and gloss yields a pretty convincing scale effect finish. Go to a contest and compare and I think you'll agree. 

Yep, exactly what I was thinking. Even heavily weathered and beat up F-14's had a bit of a sheen to them.

On 1/13/2021 at 6:34 AM, Brett M said:

I wanted to throw out one critique myself: I used Alclad flat this time around and I wish I’d stuck with Tamiya. The more I look at the finish compared to my Corsair the more I think it’s too flat. But that’s me

Hi Brett,

Scale issues of paint aside, historical information can be of value here too.

The upper Wings/Tail planes of aircraft painted in USN Tri Colour Scheme (actually 4 colours)

were painted in ANA Semi Specular Sea Blue (being a Semi Gloss), so will have weathered in

in a different way to the Non Specular Sea Blue/Intermediate blues.

For RNZAF aircraft based on Pacific island (along with USN/USMC units) the coral dust was

a major issue, and cleaning it off was akin to chipping cement. Some RNZAF SU's (Servicing Units)

who actually owned the aircraft, used petrol/gasoline (which ever is in use in your part of the world)

soaked rags to clean off the coral dust, as it was the only thing that would actually work.

It doesn't take a degree in Chemistry to figure out what happens to paint after doing that^_^

Again the amount of sorties flown can have an effect on paint, these SBD's though only with 25 Squadron for three

months, flew sorties daily, so along with wear & Tear, maintenance would have been a more common occurrence too.

Regards

Alan