ICM NEWs 2021 - Bell AH-1G Cobra in 1/32

Jan_G

Anyone heard any grumblings of an aftermarket M35 gatling gun for the AH-1G late? I'm talking about the big sucker on the stub wing. It's honestly the only thing stopping me from starting my build (I like to have all my ducks in a row before I start).

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

2 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

Anyone heard any grumblings of an aftermarket M35 gatling gun for the AH-1G late? I'm talking about the big sucker on the stub wing. It's honestly the only thing stopping me from starting my build (I like to have all my ducks in a row before I start).

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

X2.   I just jumped on the Special Hobby version out of concern that these kits will be disappearing shortly.   Only problem is that it doesn’t have the gun.    On a related note, I bought the Quinta AH-1G cockpit set from Hobbynut Models today.    As of this AM, they had one last set in stock.   May be a long time before any Quinta products are available again so if anyone was planning on using the Quinta bits for this kit, better get moving!  

21 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

I haven't found one yet. Master and Aber both make a 1/32 M61 but the barrels are too long. It's also not the easiest to assemble especially if you follow their instructions. Here's the Aber one compared to the kit gun. 

PXL_20220304_193000580-600x450.jpg

I found a resin M61 made by CMK. With it having resin barrels, it was easy enough to shorten them to the correct length. However the muzzle isn't that great and even though it has less pieces than the Aber it's even more of a pain to assemble. Here's mine using the ICM muzzle. 

PXL_20220304_203103470-600x450.jpg

I may just cut down the Aber one and use that on the CMK housing. 

Carl

• 2 months later...
On 3/3/2022 at 5:58 PM, Dennis7423 said:

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

CMK just released a set.

https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/cmk-kits/m35-armament-subsystem-upgrade-set-for-ah-1g-cobra-1-32-for-icm-and-revell-kits.html

• 3 months later...

I haven't seen this release posted yet.  Another sharkmouth scheme but no combat.  

icm32063-132-icm-ah-1g-arctic-cobra-heli

I did find the included M35 cannon extremely basic.  While getting the CMK set, I did find bundles from Metallic Detail kits for the armament:

Highly detailed turrets:

MDR3217

1_358.jpg

MDR3218
1_359.jpg

M18 gun pods:

0_9.jpg

XM157 rocket pods (sold in pairs):

1_355.jpg

XM158 pair of rocket pods (very welcomed as Fireball no longer makes theirs):

1_356.jpg

XM159 with optional warheads:

1_357.jpg

And for those building a TOW capable bird, M65 rocket launchers:

1_354.jpg

Best of all, I found a vendor selling them in bundles.  I already received Eduard PE detail sets, Quinta's cockpit, MicroDesigns' detail sets, Metallic Details cockpit and exterior, ICM's AH-1G Late and with Crew, with CMK's M35 and Special Hobby's USMC AH-1G on the way.  I also found an ancient Eduard AH-1G PE set (for Revell) which has Bell Cobra on the rudder pedals.

Edited by Sharkmouth

Almost forgot...

For those that don't like resin (or simply prefer greater value over detail) this is quite a lot for the price.  SUU-11/A Minigun pods, LAU-68 (four rocket pods with frangible fairings), and LAU-61 (four rocket pods with frangible fairings), which can sit in for the XM-157 & 159.  These also provide domed covers which are not included in the Metallic Detail sets (in case one is building a rather early Cobra):

sws-3207-m01-us-aircraft-weapons-for-a-1

Edited by Sharkmouth

10 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Indeed,

the OOB chin gun is complete junk. Amazingly the 1/35th PE M134 fits the kit perfectly IMHO

IMG_20211102_193206657-XL.jpg

IMG_20211124_152408675-XL.jpg

Agreed, I also have quite a few RB Models and Live Resin M135 barrel sets (the latter to use inside the minigun pods along with the kit parts).