ICM NEWs 2021 - Bell AH-1G Cobra in 1/32

Jan_G

10 hours ago, John1 said:

My guess is that it depends on how well the G sells.   If it meets / exceeds ICM's expectations, I think we'll see them take a deeper plunge into not just the Cobra series but also hopefully many other rotary wing subjects. 

I will do my part and requisition one. 

Got mine today.  Very nice and the 54 year old Revell kit can finally be put out to pasture.  I like that it comes with multiple options in the box, even if not all are mentioned (single or twin gun turrets, left or right side tail rotor booms, smooth or riveted elevators, clear nose with landing lights or solid nose, thick or thin strut landing skids),  The kit even has the upturned Toilet Bowl exhaust and the blast panels for the XM-35 20mm cannon, although the the other parts of the XM-35 system aren’t in the box.  I assume that will come in the late boxing, which will also use the upturned exhaust.

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting that ICM include the skid-mounted wheels. I thought they only ever used these to move the Cobra around, when they couldn't hover the airframe. A very welcome addition, none-the-less. I wonder if the rumours / speculation about a future version of the 20mm Vulcan-armed Cobra will prove to be true...

Chris. 

3 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

I wonder if the rumours / speculation about a future version of the 20mm Vulcan-armed Cobra will prove to be true...

Chris. 

ICM's already announced a "Late Version" AH-1G that includes the cannon. 

4 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

I'm guessing that this version does not include the three figures? I might have to cancel my pre-order with Hannants, if that's the case. 

Chris. 

According to Scalemates:

32060 is the early kit out now

32061 is the late kit with the 20mm wing cannon

32062 is the only kit with the pilots.

I've got a set of the DEF Models AH-1Z pilots and they are amazing. I'm tempted to buy whatever version suites the scheme I settle on and hope DEF models or Reedoak follows suite with a pilot and gunner set.

The Reedoak pilots I have currently are utterly astounding.

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

I've got a set of the DEF Models AH-1Z pilots and they are amazing. I'm tempted to buy whatever version suites the scheme I settle on and hope DEF models or Reedoak follows suite with a pilot and gunner set.

The Reedoak pilots I have currently are utterly astounding.

Agreed on Reedoak.  I'd love for them to do a set of Vietnam-era Army pilots.   From the pics ICM posted of their figures, I'm more than a bit underwhelmed.   Holding off on purchasing this kit until (hopefully) we see some aftermarket to enhance the cockpit / rocket pods and some decals.  

Edited by John1

For the box art above, to be totally accurate, the gunner needs to be holding his left canopy shut.   From an FB page dedicated to Vietnam helo vets, the guys that flew these helos mentioned that the blast from the gun was so strong that it often caused electronics to trip out and would blow open the gunner's canopy.  This is the version I've been waiting for!

Edited by John1

I'm actually quite happy with the first "early release" since it has all the options for tail rotor, skids and gun turret. I'm a rocket pods kinda guy, so the lack of gunpods is no concern. I do wish Fireball Models would re-release their Cobra decal sheet, but I asked and got an unequivocal "no". They had a nice set that would be much appreciated.

http://www.arcair.com/Rev1/801-900/Rev877-Fireball-Cobra-decals/00.shtm

Maybe some of our current decal gurus will come to the rescue?  I would love to do "Squatter Swatter".

squatter%20Swatter%20loading.jpg