Hobby Boss F-84G - S.O.D. Resurrection II

Grunticus

The Kingfisher’s wash is drying, all that remains is buff it up and mate all sub-assemblies. This got me thinking on what to do next: start on the Focke-Wulf Kanguru conversion, or beat the F-84G in to submission that has been sitting on the floor for ages. I decided to do the latter, so here goes.

I don’t remember exactly why I lost interest, but a few thing come to mind.

1. I had lot’s of trouble to get this part to sit and stay put in the cockpit. It’s Eduard PE plus kit parts. It kept breaking off. I added fictions bracing plates to give it more stability.

nnkcsjS.jpg?1

I just put it back in without glue and then I remembered: the windscreen will not fit when the part is installed. I will have to come up with a fix.

IWT0rrU.jpg?1

Then there was this seam between the fuselage and the gun-cover. Sorted now. The cockpit looks okay with the Eduard parts. Still needs some wash and Matt-coat, and I have to install the hiney-parts.

Mf0alcb.jpg?1.

I am open to suggestions on what colors to finish the F-84G in. There is an Iranian one that looks appealing in Asia Minor cammo, but I can’t find proof of operational use so I guess it’s out of the question.

1 hour ago, MARU5137 said:

check this out.

The photos especially... there is a F-84G in Iranian colors that were used. scroll to bottom. 

Golden Crown Iranian Air Force aerobatic team https://aerobaticteams.net/en/teams/i70/Golden-Crown-aerobatic-team.html

maybe this will give  you ideas.

Thanks for the heads-up, I am aware the IIAF had two squadrons of F-84Gs, what I meant was that none of them flew in that camouflage scheme of the one in the museum. Personally, I am not in to demo-team liveries, I like operational anonymous schemes. I guess a colorful Korea bird will do. I will do some research.

Edit: tempting, this one....

VmpUqxb.jpg?1

Edited by Grunticus

I reduced the size of the part in my opening post so it would amply fit. But, when installing the gunsight now the windscreen would again NOT fit, touching the gunsight. I simply removed and discarded the aforementioned part and just installed the gunsight. The windscreen was masked inside and out, painted, and I installed it to get past this debacle. Life is too short. Not very serious, not much can be seen. I have strong doubts anyone at Eduard tested their set though...

8bdNLX9.jpg?1

On to the Eduard flap inside detail. I removed existing detail according to the instructions, and while at it I thinned the trailing

1G4NRjX.jpg

Closed up it looks like this:

H5Tvod8.jpg?2

Side by side the difference is obvious and worth it IMHO.

BQsVzTA.jpg?1

More work was performed on the right flap today. The Eduard hinges are quite fragile, and I was wondering if they would stand up to the load and thought about soldering a brass pin to the end that goes inside the white Evergreen beam I glued into the wing as a support and alignment help.

It turns out the inner upper surface of the flap can be glued directly to the overhang of the top wing, making my apprehensive musings concerning strength moot. All you see is a dry-fit with nothing yet glued.

I significantly thinned the trailing edges of the flap-halves, something I neglected to do on the Vought Kingfisher control surfaces and regretted.

oMlG2xZ.jpg?1

Taped into place the flaps looks to be sitting okay...

JHvEOfg.jpg?1

I am hard pressed to find any clear (color) images of the flap when deployed, just this one (no flap attached).

ZMxhsga.jpg?1

Upper side looks good too. What color should the flap-area that would disappear under the wing in level flight be? ZC yellow or Interior Green, Silver? Also not sure if the amount of deployment is okay or too much as it is now. I can still adjust. Any help is appreciated B)

gIvFFXR.jpg?1

To make sure I was in the green, I dry fitted the assembly to the fuselage.

9TpehjK.jpg?1

mEejrzJ.jpg

Straight wing F-84s were around during the time when the US Air Force didn’t spend a lot of time and money worrying about overall paint schemes.  It’d be a pretty safe bet that the portion of the flaps you are wondering about would be natural metal finish or at least the same as the rest of the skin on the flaps.

16 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

if you've already seen these and are not helpful.then MY apologies.

I haven’t, so they’re very helpful! Thanks a lot!

15 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Straight wing F-84s were around during the time when the US Air Force didn’t spend a lot of time and money worrying about overall paint schemes.  It’d be a pretty safe bet that the portion of the flaps you are wondering about would be natural metal finish or at least the same as the rest of the skin on the flaps.

In the first (Yugoslav) video that flap area appears to have a different color, but it could be just corroded aluminium. Especially suspect when compared to the clearer ZC yellow visible at the aileron. Will go for natural metal in a different shade for now. Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have put this one aside once again. The tip-tanks gave me grief and I feel I have messed them up too much to continue now. I could use the wingtip parts, but an F-84G without tip-tanks is just not very common.

I have emailed Joanna@trumpeter-china.com for replacement parts, and got a reply the next day! I can get new ones for USD 12.00 including shipping, but she wants me to pay to this paypal account, which I find odd: fairy0821@163.com

P.s. I no longer have a Paypal account and don’t want one again. If anyone has the Tiptanks and has no need for them, I would love to buy them from you. 

Are you sure the tanks are not salvageable?  Unless you dropped them in a vat of acid, you’d think they would have a little life left in ‘em.  How about posting some photos of them - I’ll bet some of the wizards on this site can tell you how to fix them.

If it is the paint that has ruined them, leaving them overnight in a tub of Dettol should cure that.  I have done this several times with resin figures when I was unsatisfied with my work: a small sealable tub with some dettol at the bottom.  If I am unsure I keep the part above the dettol, but normally I cover the thing with dettol and leave it overnight.  Then in the morning (wearing washing gloves, of course) I take the part out of the tub and rinse off the paint - which has now turned into a sort of nasty looking and feeling muck).

Wash the part with some mild detergent, reprime and start  over the painting process.