Tamiya 1/24 Porsche 934 Completed

machine_marty

Hi, this is my recently completed Tamiya Porsche 934.

Lovely kit, built out of the box with Zero paint and a 2K clear coat. Not overly happy with the 2K - think I need a bigger nozzle on the airbrush to get the volume of paint required to prevent orange peel.

50802818852_f4fc8af6f6_c_d.jpg

50802703841_282159095f_c_d.jpg

50801958618_1f968344bd_c_d.jpg

50801958368_88286527bb_c_d.jpg

50802702391_c6a4c59cba_c_d.jpg

Apologies for the poor iPhone pics

Nice paint work on the Porsche  - you couldn't miss it that's for sure. 

Interesting that you mentioned using a bigger nozzle for the 2k clear as I had the same issue recently when I tried it out for the first time a few weeks ago and I was wondering why I was getting really heavy orange peel. I followed the instructions to the millimeter but can only use a 3 needle as that's all I have. The box says you can use a 3 minimum but I didn't get the results I was hoping for. 

Edited by The Madhatter
Spelling

50 minutes ago, The Madhatter said:

Nice paint work on the Porsche  - you couldn't miss it that's for sure. 

Interesting that you mentioned using a bigger nozzle for the 2k clear as I had the same issue recently when I tried it out for the first time a few weeks ago and I was wondering why I was getting really heavy orange peel. I followed the instructions to the millimeter but can only use a 3 needle as that's all I have. The box says you can use a 3 minimum but I didn't get the results I was hoping for. 

Yes, I think a bigger nozzle/needle size is required. 2K clear needs to be almost flooded on to allow it to form a smooth layer. That in itself is counter intuitive as normal paint/varnish would run and be a mess if applied in such a way. I need more practice for sure before tackling my bigger projects (Tamiya 1/12 Porsche 934 & 935), but I'll get there. Interestingly, the Yamaha came out almost perfectly but each part was sprayed separately - which allowed me to ensure a smooth coat without fear of overspray onto adjacent panels.