wow shipping from europe is more ridiculous every day

dashotgun

Getting anything from overseas at the moment is ridiculously expensive. More so if you're in Canada. 

Plus, USPS and Canada Post are still backed up from Christmas. I work at a neighbourhood kids store that does a lot of online sales and I've been fielding emails and calls at my work from customers looking for their orders nonstop. Shipments that normally are only a few days are taking weeks. 

Carl

That's the problem with t'internet - everything everybody buys needs to be shipped. The demand has increased hugely, now given an extra boost by Covid, and the supply is pretty much static, partly due to Amazon investing in their own delivery network - hence shipping costs going north rapidly.

Having said that, €34 for a decal sheet is just profiteering. I sent some decals last year to the US, cost me less than £10.

39 minutes ago, dashotgun said:

was looking to get some anyz stuff  put some  decals in the  cart  shipping to the us for a set of decals is ups only and  34 euros or 41.73 euros!    just incredible

Well here is this years Royal Mail price list for International Tracked service from the UK [ and what a ball ache it is too to post a photo on here ] the US is zone 3 the most expensive, but for a set of decals it should be under a tenner. We always refund any postage overpayment to our customers, not that is ever recognized on here or any other good service we do.

Graham

20210104_155757[1]

Edited by GrahamF

There's a difference between UPs and postal service.

UPS for us european is the most expensive and hardly used here.

If you really need to use express (let's face it in the modelling world, nothing is urgent considering our stash states) DHL is as efficient as UPS and less expensive to the US service.

I send samples to the US for my business almost weekly and the above is my experience with the express services.

Postal is most of the time as efficient and way cheaper. DHL is way cheaper than UPS or Fedex for services from Belgium to the US

Sending a kit box to the US is usually around 30 euros per post. By UPS it can go as high as 100€

my 2 cents

UPS in Europe is awful and unreliable and should be avoided at all costs. 

Rates are high for all shipping I find, thanks to a number of countries having privatized their postal systems under cover of the EU and then they are free to ratchet up their rates viciously. 

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Try shipping to Australia. Mortgage your house.

Phantom,

My experience differs. I posted a couple of WnW's kits to a customer in Australia a month or so before Xmas and it was surprisingly reasonable. Not sure about the other direction though.

Regards,

Gary.

not all adhere to the bs  I just bought some  3d  decal seat belts from kitworld in the uk  the shipping was 4.95 british pounds about 6.7  sl higher do to exchange rate for 2 decals that will likely be shipped airmail.  any  is german I think and I love his stuff but 25 bucks for shipping is   beyond reasonable    i voted with my $.  I  wanted to try the  decals anyz had for stitching but also wanted to try the 3d  decals so there it is

Edited by dashotgun

On a related note, TNT have increased all shipping costs between the EU and the UK by £4.31. Because of additional Brexit costs. DHL & UPS are following.

Also, UK tax authorities are requiring any retailer anywhere in the world outside the UK  that sells to the UK has to be UK VAT registered. They are expected to apply to HMRC for registration, raise 20% VAT invoices for all UK sales, then account for that money and pass it to HMRC on a regular basis. They need to keep up to date with UK tax legislation, and make appropriate changes as UK law changes. And - here's the kicker - HMRC will charge each retailer an annual fee for doing so.

So, a widget manufacturer in Texas, or a kit manufacturer in Ukraine, or an AM seller in China, or an Italian coffee seller, are all expected to register for UK VAT. In English. (or Welsh!). I mean, Chinese retailers pride themselves on avoiding ALL import charges, Italian retailers pride themselves on not paying ANY taxes at all to anybody. I can't see US companies bothering, especially for a tiny market, whilst Eastern Europe will just laugh & carry on exactly as they have before.

It's beyond ludicrous. Several EU based retailers have responded by simply refusing to sell anything to UK based customers. Those that do sell will inevitably have to increase costs for UK customers, to cover additional administration expenses. Many small retailers just won't bother - and who is going to police and check every single parcel entering the UK from every single country in the world?! The tax take in the UK will drop markedly, prices will increase, inflation will head upwards, Sterling will weaken even further, and interest rates will increase in defence of the currency. Borrowing costs will rise, mortgage costs will increase whilst many people have just enormous mortgages, and as rates are so very, very low at around 1%-2%, even a 1% increase could potentially double the amount of interest payable, whilst people can just about manage now because house inflation has left house prices at their highest ever level.

It's a mess - poorly thought out, poorly implemented, poorly managed and just an indication of what's to come for UK trading. Throw in the effects of Covid on the economy, and 2021 may make 2020 look like a nice, prosperous year.

Argh!!!!

Well, we all agree by now that, specifically across the big pond, postage is getting really out of hand, and the fact that we are all subject to government's whimps at this time, we can do little to change this condition, but that shouldn't have us consider not sending packages to and fro, but then again  i had to change my christmas donation to a LSP member to Australia/New Zealand  into a monetary gift just due to these outrageous postage costs, which is very frustrating.........

In my experience, postage/shipping costs from the US to Europe are also pretty daft, usually comfortably exceeding the value of the goods being purchased; in the last couple of years shipping from Hong Kong and Japan to Europe has taken a huge upward hike as well. When combined with the likelihood of also being hit with a VAT bill and a handling charge on delivery, if you live within the EU it really no longer makes much sense to buy from a non-EU retailer. Sadly, Brexit looks like making UK retailers 'non-viable' for me too.....

7 hours ago, Jack said:

Well, we all agree by now that, specifically across the big pond, postage is getting really out of hand, and the fact that we are all subject to government's whimps at this time, we can do little to change this condition, but that shouldn't have us consider not sending packages to and fro, but then again  i had to change my christmas donation to a LSP member to Australia/New Zealand  into a monetary gift just due to these outrageous postage costs, which is very frustrating.........

For a little bit, UK to US wasn't bad. I had picked up a few Revell Germany kits at the time. But now, what you send and why best be vital!

My raffle recipient is in Australia, I sent off his three books and a decal sheet today USPS first class international - - $27.50.

IF these costs stick, I suggest the 2021 raffle exchanges be drawn within regions first... :DodgeBall: