sailing ships

LSP_Mike

The only boat I've done is a Thames sailing barge which was a Remploy kit, this was a company who used to mostly employed disabled people and the kit was awesome.

I built it for my Dad who as an artist uses it for reference when painting them. I started about 1987 when I was at college but it took ten years on and off and was very complicated I had to use four different reference books to understand all the different rigging elements, it was quite an education.

It's just over 2 feet long it really needs to go in a case.

Graham.

IMG_7953 IMG_7955 IMG_7954 IMG_7956

20 hours ago, Derek B said:

When I start my scratch building my Trehantiris (or kaiki (Caique): traditional Greek fishing boats), I think that 1/35 scale will be an ideal scale for them.

traditional greek fishing boat kaiki in nea artaki on euboea on february 1 2018 traditional greek fishing boat  | Stockfoto bei imago images lizenzieren

Greek-wooden-boats-7-1024x768.jpg

Derek

Many years ago I got a similar 1/35 Italian wood ship. The only major difference was the cabin location. I'm wondering if it is still available. Look for instance for the 'Mare Nostrum'.

• 5 weeks later...

Almost done....

"Old Ironsides", Revell 1/96

IMG_0111

I love old sailing ships and I still have the Heller 1/100 Victory and the small (fictitious...) 1/96 HMS Bounty from Revell to do.

...and a VERY small 1/350 Santa Maria from Heller! 

Cheers!

Stefan :beer:

Edited by Phantom2

Some beautiful work there guys , 

Yes I have a USS Constitution  in the loft as a retirement project , and I'd love to build  Cutty Sark  again as a retirement project , but one thnk I'd like to know , has anyone ever done a waterline Sailing ship , under sail on a sea base , Clippers especially look wonderful when under way , where I live we have a maritime museum  which has a particular emphasis on Clipper's which is  not surprising since the local yards used to build them . 

The museum does have a superb model of the clipper Thermopylae, made by the yard and despite looking superb as a fully rigged model  however  without sails it does look a little bare 

Thermopylaeclipperpainting.jpg

Something like this maybe!

On 2/18/2021 at 6:43 AM, Scotsman said:

Some beautiful work there guys , 

Yes I have a USS Constitution  in the loft as a retirement project , and I'd love to build  Cutty Sark  again as a retirement project , but one thnk I'd like to know , has anyone ever done a waterline Sailing ship , under sail on a sea base , Clippers especially look wonderful when under way , where I live we have a maritime museum  which has a particular emphasis on Clipper's which is  not surprising since the local yards used to build them . 

The museum does have a superb model of the clipper Thermopylae, made by the yard and despite looking superb as a fully rigged model  however  without sails it does look a little bare 

Something like this maybe!

I've yet to make any serious attempt at modeling water, so would be reluctant to attempt it until I had done some experimenting first.

46 minutes ago, kalashnikov-47 said:

For those of you who build the plastic ships from Revell, Heller, etc, 

check out this ebay seller if you want to take that plastic to the next level:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/hismodel/m.html

You can also go directly to his website: 

https://www.hismodel.com/

and buy accessories such as blocks, etched metal parts, turned cannon, laser cut decks and cloth sails sewn with patterns or even printed with decoration (like Golden Hind or Santa Maria). He is great to deal with and has lots of resources. He sells old plastic models or can find them for you. Highly recommended.

Tnarg

• 2 weeks later...