sailing ships

LSP_Mike

"Real Men" make plank on frame kits with built up frames... no stinkin' laser cut bulkheads, and by the way, they hand nail every copper plate and fully detail the interior (mostly invisible) decks. I guess I never really qualified, but I understand the attraction completely (just like those nearly invisible inside rivets on a 1/32 bomber fuselage).

I admire the Harvey and Caroline immensely. I only did the carved hull Dapper Tom kit decades ago, and it is still together. Maybe this suggests that wood is a better medium than plastic for longevity?

Tnarg

1 hour ago, LSP_Mike said:

Howz the Mayflower?

I think it’s nice.  It has the flexible ratlines like the bigger ships, sails,  and its old enough that the Revell instructions have painting instructions for each step and numbered, written assembly steps.  It’s not a big model but it seems pretty good.  Since it’s not a big model, it’s pretty simple.  I think the hardest part will be painting it in the colors called out. Note that nobody really knows what the original Mayflower looked like (paint) but the model is based off the builder plans for the Mayflower II.  

If you’re after one, be careful as there’s more than one version of the Mayflower.  The later and I believe smaller one, has molded plastic ratlines and is not as nice.

Edited by Juggernut

2 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Is there a Surprise kit? I've read O'Brien's novels over and over. Would love to build one.

Beautiful Bluenose, BTW.

Me too! In all its 1/48 glory: https://victoryshipmodels.com/ship-model-surprise-wooden-static-kit-artesania-latina-master-commander.html Although it may be out of production sadly. Thanks for the compliment about the Bluenose. It was built just after college, and I hired a seamstress for the sails.

Cheers,  Tom

Love sailing ships! The Revell Cutty Sark kit is hiding under my bed (yeah, I'm a 62 yr old kid). I built many of the Revell and Heller ship kits as a youngster. I really enjoyed the Revell Golden Hinde and and HMS Beagle, and the Heller Viking ship and Columbus's three ships. In wood, I've done a couple of model shipways solid hull kits. I also have a closet-full of ship plans and modeling books by Harold Underhill and other draftsmen. (Hope I live long enough to tackle a scratch-build some day!)

I have an original release of the Revell Beagle in my stash - just for sentimentality. I built the kit when I was about 13, It was the first time I fully rigged a model ship. I was pretty proud of the result, and wanted to show it off to one of my mother's friends (to me she was Aunt Edna). After, I left the model on the arm of our couch. As Aunt Edna got up to leave she put her sweater on, swinging it over her shoulders, and it snagged the model sending it sailing into the kitchen where it smashed against the refrigerator!  I think she was more horrified than I was! 

Cheers,  Rockie

Edited by Rockie Yarwood

10 hours ago, Rockie Yarwood said:

Love sailing ships! The Revell Cutty Sark kit is hiding under my bed (yeah, I'm a 62 yr old kid). I built many of the Revell and Heller ship kits as a youngster. I really enjoyed the Revell Golden Hinde and and HMS Beagle, and the Heller Viking ship and Columbus's three ships. In wood, I've done a couple of model shipways solid hull kits. I also have a closet-full of ship plans and modeling books by Harold Underhill and other draftsmen. (Hope I live long enough to tackle a scratch-build some day!)

I have an original release of the Revell Beagle in my stash - just for sentimentality. I built the kit when I was about 13, It was the first time I fully rigged a model ship. I was pretty proud of the result, and wanted to show it off to one of my mother's friends (to me she was Aunt Edna). After, I left the model on the arm of our couch. As Aunt Edna got up to leave she put her sweater on, swinging it over her shoulders, and it snagged the model sending it sailing into the kitchen where it smashed against the refrigerator!  I think she was more horrified than I was! 

Cheers,  Rockie

We are of a similar age Rockie and I share your experiences. I find that Ship modelling requires a totally different kind set to aircraft modelling (you certainly require more fortitude!).

Scratch building model ships and boats is yet another different thing altogether - it is both very satisfying and frustrating in equal measure at the same time! However, the experience of building from plans is invaluable, technically, as you have to learn and have an understanding of archaic terms and meanings (something similar could be said for remodelling as well), but for my later life of master pattern making, both ship building and astonishing have kept me in good stead, especially when you need to translate 2D shapes into 3D ones using water and mould (mold) line!

Derek

Edited by Derek B

• 2 weeks later...

You could always go nuts for reference material and purchase the book in the Anatomy of the Ship series on the Constitution (which has my highest recommendation), or the actual ship's museum has quite a few very interesting references:

https://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/discover-learn/modeler-resources/

Scale Decks has a great wood deck and Radimir Beseda's hismodel site has lots of details in terms of blocks, gun barrels and carriages, scale rigging ropes, etc., etc.. He sells decks also but I like the look of many of the Scale Decks better. To each his own. Both of these guys are absolutely great people to buy from, even shipping from Czech to USA.

https://scaledecks.com/

https://www.hismodel.com/

If you wanted to go a bit more in line with our larger scale planes, you can still purchase the 1/35 scale fighting top (mainmast top)  kit of the USS Constitution with added crew figures. This was originally released by Meteor but now by Flagship Models: Not 1/32, but at least it could match the helicopters and maybe some of the submarine or PT boat kits in our larger scales:

https://flagshipmodels.com/products/main-mast-fighting-top-diorama-mast-18-tall-yardarm-9-long

Crew figures are available but are extra.  (It's only money, you say...) Yes, this is a big kit, but think how large it could be if you made a cross section in 1/35. Now that sounds like fun... and a long project.

Have fun with whatever you are building,

Tnarg