MOST WANTED RUSSIAN AIRCRAFT POLL

DugyB

10 hours ago, NewtonK said:

Yeah, ok, maybe a bit too ambitious... but still a great idea! 

Shapeways is your friend :D

Look at all that wonderful 3D printed LSPs here: Avro Lincoln, Bf-109Z, Hs 748 AWACS, Pucara, Boeing 737/P-8A Poseidon, Hawker Siddeley Andover, just to name a few. Saw also a 1/35 Mil Mi-6 some years ago at Shapeways. The sky is the limit :punk:

Regards

- dutik

20 minutes ago, Basta said:

Simple question; is anyone actually tallying the replies to this "poll"? 

There would be little value to do so.  It’s not like any manufacturer is going to use this little “poll” to make a decision on dropping a couple of hundred grand on a mold.

17 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

There would be little value to do so.  It’s not like any manufacturer is going to use this little “poll” to make a decision on dropping a couple of hundred grand on a mold.

Not as such, but it may give them some ideas, ideas that may ultimately come to fruition. I'd be very hesitant to write off polls of any sort, especially on this site.

17 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Not as such, but it may give them some ideas, ideas that may ultimately come to fruition. I'd be very hesitant to write off polls of any sort, especially on this site.

Personally I think 'polls' are of limited value to model companies and the membership on this site are only a small percentage of the hobby; the majority of modellers not being active on any sort of social media modelling sites. I also think us modellers are quite a fickle bunch (by and large) with ever moving interests and I recall 'polls' conducted back in the 90's and well before the advent of social media where model magazines used to run such surveys every year. For almost a decade and just about every year, the 'most wanted' by way of example in 1/48 was the Ju-52 and eventually along came Revell with a quite superb kit in 48. I will stand corrected but as I understand it, that kit has since been one of their worst investments in terms of mould costs and sales returns and sold quite badly. That certainly couldn't be explained because it was a poor kit - far from it.

I also assist a friend who has quite a high profile figures company at trade shows prior to lockdown and I have lost count of the times someone at the shows has asked to be emailed when a new figure is about to be released as they "really want it" and then once we have it in stock a few weeks later.....in about 60%+ of the cases, they will 'have a think about it' or simply say something else has since caught their interest and secured their limited hobby funds. Obviously it wasn't "a must have" as they had lamented when finding that we didn't have it at that specific time.

Any company basing it's business model on a 'here and now' poll of "wants" and expecting the same sentiment to be echoed 6-12 months down the line would be playing a very risky game indeed. Little wonder most model companies play safe with the never ceasing output of Spitfires, 109's, P-51, F-4's etc. just like the figure manufacturers churn out more French Napoleonic Hussars, Cuirassiers and Roman Legionnaires (all safe bets as perennial sellers) than probably ever took part in the 1812 campaign or invaded Britain respectively!

Gary

I do not know how many times I read that this or that kit was a bad seller. Very frankly without actual figures coming from manufacturers, this is just gossip. Even when you see piles of specific kits collecting dust in some shops, this does not mean anything regarding global sales. One example I'm remembering : many years ago there were piles of unsold 1/48 Mirage V kits in French shops whereas the IIIE ones were close to impossible to find but in my country this was exactly the opposite!

Thierry 

The comment about the Revell Ju-52 kit was obtained from a magazine some years ago when they did a Q & A with someone in the model industry and he himself cited the example of the Ju52 as being produced due to (perceived) demand and ultimately, it being a disappointment in sales terms. Whether it is true or not, who knows, however I do know that my local hobby shop has had one for what must be about 15 years now and I have watched the box go yellow as I go grey over the same time period and each time I pop in to buy something. So perhaps, just perhaps, the chap was right in (this) specific instance..?

Gary