My 2020 In Models

Dpgsbody55

Like many others here, 2020 has been a good year for modelling.  My normal output is about three LSP models a year, but this year I've completed five.  Not very prolific compared to others, and partially explained by covid not being as much of an issue on the western side of this continent as other places, thankfully.  Life has been as normal as you could hope for, given this pestilence.

My year started off with the Special Hobby Yak 3 built as part of the Eastern Front group build. Most of the effort went into the cockpit and I also built rails to make the canopy slide.

FDXpw4.jpg

Ub39pi.jpg

TOJqiB.jpg

The second model was the Kitty Hawk P-39 Airacobra, again for the Eastern Front GB.  This is a more complex kit, but I found it a joy to build.  A lot more interior work on this one as it has opening panels for the cockpit, engine and guns.  I added extra detail to the cockpit and engine, and again made the cockpit entry a movable feature - both of them :D.

mvpD98.jpg

S06qbG.jpg

X87lN6.jpg

8fZ8Fn.jpg

ucmF2d.jpg

My third effort was yet another go at the Eastern Front GB; this time an I-16 type 17 by ICM.  Another lovely kit, but much simpler to build than the P-39.  As always with my models, extra details were added to the cockpit, and I did put ignition leads on the front of the engine as they can be seen, depending on how you display the cooling shutters on the front of the engine cowl.  I also put in a fuel tank thanks to picture I found on the net, but I think this was largely a waste of time, as well as complete the bottom of the fuselage under the cockpit, which wasn't a waste.

JH49Vm.jpg

10wzCq.jpg

5sj14K.jpg

EUuDt4.jpg

uXI5Q6.jpg

Model number four was Trumpeters P-47D-10 Razorback, and no, not for the Eastern Front GB :lol:.  This model is at time very challenging and frustrating, but also has many good points.  I went to town on this one with the additions.  Engine, cockpit and the supercharger detailing.

51g7N6.jpg

0wIOui.jpg

gbXqMD.jpg

FEMk8B.jpg

HL7gCS.jpg

jf9Cve.jpg

My last effort was the Trumpeter Curtiss P-40B Tomahawk.  This kit was treated to a kit bash cockpit, comprising resin, Eduard etch, stock kit parts and a little bit of my own additions.  Other additions were made to the engine and firewall.  I was going to do a Flying Tigers P-40B, but it finished up as an RAF Western Desert P-40B.  I also ran into problems with glue fogging of the windscreen, but the project was rescued thanks to the generosity of one of our forum members here.

awb1tE.jpg

v4qnEB.jpg

rh0n5y.jpg

Bkwr4n.jpg

GHowWb.jpg

Now, roll on 2021.  Who knows what this year will bring. I hope it's much better than 2020, for all our sakes, and who knows??  I may even build as many models as this year.

Cheers,

Michael

6 hours ago, Cicciuzzo said:

The Yak is beautiful :wub:

Thanks.  A plane is so  much more than the exterior, so I like to see some of the inner workings too.  This is where I tend to put in most of the time.  Once the fuselage is together, the build just flies along. 

Cheers,

Michael