Good instructions / materials list for ocean diorama bases?

Alex

I'm thinking of building an ocean base for a seaplane I just finished to be landing on.  I've seen some amazingly realistic ones that people have done for ship models, but I have never tried this myself.  Anyone have pointers (or even better a foolproof formula ;-) for doing this?  Favorite instructional article?  Thanks!

Alex, there are lots of great tutorials on YouTube about this, so I recommend starting there. You'd be amazed at how many different approaches there are! Aside from the obvious use of clear resin, I've seen it done successfully with plaster, aluminium foil, and even toilet paper! I'm looking to go in a similar direction with my own seaplane builds, but I can't provide any specific links at the moment. When/if I come across them again, I'll post them here.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Bstarr3 said:

For airplane scale, I think the foil technique looks amazing. Check out scale-a-ton on YouTube for some very good tutorials. I think the waves can look a little over scale for ship scales, especially 1/700. 

The foil technique is my favourite that I've seen done so far. It looks relatively simple, relatively cheap, and produces very effective results (as you say, not so much in really small scales). I haven't tried it yet personally, but am looking forward to working on a project that lets me.

Kev