Italeri Starfighter. Luftwaffe Norm 72 scheme.

dmthamade

5 hours ago, Rainer Hoffmann said:

I 2nd that!

Rainer

On 2/18/2021 at 5:27 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Looks great, Don!

Kev

Thanks, guys. Have to say, the build took a slight wobble. The stencils silvered, badly. Did everything as per SOP, then the usual fixes for silvering failed. First time using Astra decals, the stencils are all on one sheet, crosses and numerals on different sheet. The stencils that failed all have large areas of clear on them, so when they silver, they SILVER!! I do know the kit stencils work OK, have used them before. Will use them, drawback being they are in english with exception of some specifics. Small enough to be ok(for me, anyway) Time to get back to it.

Rainer, what was your association with the Starfighter?

Don

Edited by dmthamade

I need to add some history of this aircraft. It still exists, in a museum in Niederalteich, Germany. Named after Gerhard Neumann, engineer with a colorful life.

https://f-104.de/geschichte/gerhard-neumann/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerhard_Neumann

The aircraft i'm building has a brief history

http://www.916-starfighter.de/Large/2373.htm

Don

16 hours ago, dmthamade said:

Thanks, guys. Have to say, the build took a slight wobble. The stencils silvered, badly. Did everything as per SOP, then the usual fixes for silvering failed. First time using Astra decals, the stencils are all on one sheet, crosses and numerals on different sheet. The stencils that failed all have large areas of clear on them, so when they silver, they SILVER!! I do know the kit stencils work OK, have used them before. Will use them, drawback being they are in english with exception of some specifics. Small enough to be ok(for me, anyway) Time to get back to it.

Rainer, what was your association with the Starfighter?

Don

Tough luck with the stencils, Don.

I was stationed at Jever Air Base, then home of the WaSLw 10, from 1976 to 1978 during my time in the GAF. However, I was neither a pilot nor a maintenance guy. But I had some opportunity to get close to zippers. Didn't manage to snap any close-up pics though :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2:

Cheers

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

Well, it's been 6 days of stencils. A quarter of the stencils went on ok, the rest have been either a little or a lot of work. They are either a mix of the Daco or kit decals, some needed a single pass of setting fluid, some needed a shot of Future. Tried 5 different setting solutions, the one that was the most effective on decals was the Tamiya Decal Adhesive, Softener type. After all this, after the gloss clear coat, there are still two or three that have silvered. Also managed to apply two or three in the wrong spots....I'm going to let the clear harden 'til sunday, then hit it with a panel line wash.

cQXgBx.jpg

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely work, the camo looks brilliant! The Astra decals can be a little tricky in places (even if you have a great gloss layer like that), I think I even went with the nuclear option on one or two decals with tiny strokes of Tamiya extra thin to eliminate the silvering. Anyways I look froward to seeing it finished!

David

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this one went to the SOD. Clear coat did some weird things, to fix this means a complete strip and redo. I should have enough decals to do a redo, but not going to happen for a while. Doing some cars now, also a move will happen within a year to year and a half. Don't want to do an expensive build only to trash or break it due to a move.

Don

• 3 weeks later...

Tired of looking at this one on the SOD. Got a hand full of paper towels, cup full of Mr. Color Leveling Thinner and sat out on the rear porch. Half hour later, i got this.

DcPmFw.jpg

Stuff took off the paint, clearcoat and decals quickly and with no damage anywhere. Will have to refill a couple of spots, but this is close to repaint as is. Now i have to think what i will do for decals. Really want the Norm 72 scheme, i'm pretty certain i have the needed decals, but after the trouble with silvering, may rethink this...anyway, i will restart this build.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

It's been really busy at work, even with the stay at home orders and non essential closures. Have had very little time or energy for models, just enough energy to lurk a bit. Saturday morning, started in on the paint, and by tonight, sunday, i had all the paint down on the build. I stayed with the Norm 72 scheme, want to see it through to completion.

e9t414.jpg

The last time it looked like this was just over 2 months ago. All paints again worked great, really like the AK Real Colors and the Tamiya Lacquer Paints. Hope to clear coat it Wednesday, then decals Saturday. I was going to strip the tanks, but they look workable and i'm almost out of paint. This paint is pretty tough, but stripped easily with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner.

hnqnTP.jpg

No hard scrubbing or scraping, soaked a paper towel and wiped away.

Don