Border Model 1/35!!! New Bf-109G-6 and Ju-87G

Jan_G

"Hands Up" I do buy 1/35 stuff but as I spent about 25 years in mining both underground and outcrop, where else can I get large scale plastic/resin Locos and rolling stock,excavators, dump trucks dozers and WW1 light railways.

Most of our stuff is 1/32 with some 1/48 and the odd other scale but the bulk of our new stuff will be in 1/32 with a couple of exceptions.

Note for file 1/32 vehicles are available or 54mm https://www.forcesofvalor.com/ also I think Tommy's War has some stuff as well.

Bob

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

It’s great to see some models in 1/35 scale to accompany armor and figures and the diorama possibilities are endless. Also, I think there are plenty of 109’s and Ju-87’s in 1/32nd that there is room for this addition. 

Must admit: I have a 1/35th Soviet fuel truck just itching for a 1/35th Yak...of course, I already had the 1/35th Pend d'Orielle Bf109 G-6 that I was going to use in a crash dio. Would have preferred a 1/35th 109 F so I can park Marseille's "Otto" next to it.

Sandbox scale model for those who love to make propeller and machine gun noises, in their backyard sandbox!   It’s 2021.  We seemed to have survived so far, eh?  Screw you B1.1.1.7!   Rock on and rejoice you 1/35 scale geeks.  Taka taka taka boom!    Honey?   Where did I put the BBQ lighter fluid!?!?!!!?!?   

1 hour ago, Troy Molitor said:

Sandbox scale model for those who love to make propeller and machine gun noises, in their backyard sandbox!   It’s 2021.  We seemed to have survived so far, eh?  Screw you B1.1.1.7!   Rock on and rejoice you 1/35 scale geeks.  Taka taka taka boom!    Honey?   Where did I put the BBQ lighter fluid!?!?!!!?!?   

Is anyone seriously saying we DON’T make propellor and machine gun noises when we build a model anymore? Well my finger is definitely not on the pulse of model making these days...:mental:

15 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Is anyone seriously saying we DON’T make propellor and machine gun noises when we build a model anymore? Well my finger is definitely not on the pulse of model making these days...:mental:

Not me, I'm much more mature than that, at least for the last six months or so.

Hi

Personally not at all interested in these 2 releases but some of the reactions here are hilarious.  That said we have good enough kits of theses planes in 32, so don’t need any ‘Trumpeter boutique’ line in 35 or 32.

IMO I think 1/64 would be a better size - slightly bigger, and 1/35, slightly smaller. But it’s 1/32 and that’s the standard. Airfield equipment and vehicles in 1/32 always welcome of course!

Also are AFV guys going to care as much about slight inaccuracies in a 1/35 a/c release for a diorama vs their T34/85? doubt it. (Going to be a big diorama!)

Cheers

Edited by Pup7309

On 1/2/2021 at 5:14 PM, Quill4 said:

I've never really understood why the modelling world locked in on scales that were 'Imperial' in origin anyway?

1/144 = 1 inch to 12 feet

1/72 = 1 inch to 6 Feet

1/48 = 1 inch to 4 feet.

1/32 is logical, it is just fractional progression. 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32.  Maybe 1/72 and 1/144 should be replaced with 1/64 and 1/128?

As for a 1/35 Bf109 and Stuka, why the heck not? 

Purely a guess, however given that the pioneering manufacturers in the 1950's were based on the Imperial system in the UK/ US  ( Airfix, Revell , Aurora ,Frog , Monogram), I guess it made sense to work up the design and tooling in inches, and a fitting a scale that worked in inches . Perhaps it's only a "proper" scale if it can be divided by 8 :P ( you missed out 1/48 ! )   

The oft told story about Tamiya, and how 1/35 came about in 1962 , is that was related to the size of a battery vs the size of a Panther hull. How true this is I can't say , but as most of the early product was rug crawlers it kind of makes sense. Airfix only jumped into larger AFVs in the 1970s when it bought the old Peerless Max moulds ( were actually 1/32 but now mostly sold as 1/35 ) . Tamiya did flirt with a few 1/25 for a while in the early years, but it seems the market preferred 1/35 until 1/16 and r/c came about . 

I'd be interested if anyone has any firmer information regarding this . 

Not sure what to really make of this news? I am not an AFV modeller (unless I have a slight fall from grace, which could happen if I am tempted enough, so who can say! ;) ). I feel that certain models lend themselves to certain scales in a ready fashion (which is probably why I suppose that 1/32 scale is primarily populated by single seat fighter type aircraft).

If you are making a collection of representative models, then it is desirable to have a constant scale to build your collection on - mixing similar models of two varying scales would certainly upset this balance. However, as accuracy of shape, scale and detail are important in a model, as long as it is of a type which will stand alone as a model, then I may well consider making an aircraft which is 1/35 scale if it is particularly unique or desirable (as stated, many helicopters already are - I would love a 1/32 CH-47 Chinook, but will probably have to settle for the 1/35 scale offering). 

For other scales for aircraft, I have always considered the metric scale of 1/100 scale ideal for airliners (similar argument for 1/96 vs. 1/100 scale here).

Derek

3 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

Purely a guess, however given that the pioneering manufacturers in the 1950's were based on the Imperial system in the UK/ US  ( Airfix, Revell , Aurora ,Frog , Monogram), I guess it made sense to work up the design and tooling in inches, and a fitting a scale that worked in inches . Perhaps it's only a "proper" scale if it can be divided by 8 :P ( you missed out 1/48 ! )   

The oft told story about Tamiya, and how 1/35 came about in 1962 , is that was related to the size of a battery vs the size of a Panther hull. How true this is I can't say , but as most of the early product was rug crawlers it kind of makes sense. Airfix only jumped into larger AFVs in the 1970s when it bought the old Peerless Max moulds ( were actually 1/32 but now mostly sold as 1/35 ) . Tamiya did flirt with a few 1/25 for a while in the early years, but it seems the market preferred 1/35 until 1/16 and r/c came about . 

I'd be interested if anyone has any firmer information regarding this . 

I read that story, too, in the Tamiya history book, but I am suspicious of that. If they really were worried about battery size in their models, I would have thought they had the foresight to realize adding to their line would cause problems as the Panther is one of the larger German tanks. Indeed, their original Panzer IV hull was a bit too wide due to making it big enough to fit the batteries. If they had started with 1/32nd, the batteries would have fit perfectly in a PzIV hull. They were pretty good at long-range planning, so it seems odd they would have made that mistake. That is why I theorize it was a calculation error by someone used to the metric system and not to 3/8" = 1'-0" which is what 1/32nd is.

4 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

Airfix only jumped into larger AFVs in the 1970s when it bought the old Peerless Max moulds ( were actually 1/32 but now mostly sold as 1/35 ) .

Actually no. Airfix released its own range of 1/32 afv kits before getting the Max/Peerless kits. They released the WW1 British bus, Lee & Grant, Monty's Humber and the 17pdr gun besides their multipose figures. Then they added the 1/35 Dodge, ATK Dodge, Scout car, CMP tractor, CMP truck, Bedford Portee truck and 155mm howitzer. The Japanese kits were 1/35 models and for one mysterious reason one of them (the only 1/35 'Banjo' GMC CCKW 353 kit) was never re-released by Airfix or anyone else. This was the status that did not evolve up to the re-sale of the Japanese molds to Italeri in the late seventies/early eighties. Recently Airfix went back to afv models with a range of re-released Academy kits.

On 1/2/2021 at 5:14 PM, Quill4 said:
14 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

I read that story, too, in the Tamiya history book, but I am suspicious of that. If they really were worried about battery size in their models, I would have thought they had the foresight to realize adding to their line would cause problems as the Panther is one of the larger German tanks. Indeed, their original Panzer IV hull was a bit too wide due to making it big enough to fit the batteries. If they had started with 1/32nd, the batteries would have fit perfectly in a PzIV hull. They were pretty good at long-range planning, so it seems odd they would have made that mistake. That is why I theorize it was a calculation error by someone used to the metric system and not to 3/8" = 1'-0" which is what 1/32nd is.

That's a good point about the batteries, although most of their early stuff was large ;- Panther , Tiger 2 , M60 , the Pz IV came later on in '75. They also did the remote controls with the batteries in a seperate controller ( I had the Centurion in the 70's with this system) or put the batteries behind each other instead of side to side. 

Also 1/35 is not really a "metric scale" so I agree it seems an arbitary choice - might also have been linked to the size of tooling available to them ? ... although 1/32 to 1/35 shouldn't make a real difference in terms of clamping pressures or shot weights . Im guessing as it was their second foray into injection moulding , they probably just knocked something out to see if it would sell ...and sort of got stuck with it's success ?

2 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Actually no. Airfix released its own range of 1/32 afv kits before getting the Max/Peerless kits. They released the WW1 British bus, Lee & Grant, Monty's Humber and the 17pdr gun besides their multiprise figures. Then they added the 1/35 Dodge, ATK Dodge, Scout car, CMP tractor, CMP truck, Bedford Portee truck and 155mm howitzer. The Japanese kits were 1/35 models and for one mysterious reason one of them (the only 1/35 'Banjo' GMC CCKW 353 kit) was never re-released by Airfix or anyone else. This was the status that did not evolve up to the re-sale of the Japanese molds to Italeri in the late seventies/early eighties. Recently Airfix went back to afv models with a range of re-released Academy kits.

Yes you are right  :thumbsup: , although apart from the Bus 1962 ( and all the civvy cars ) they were all released around '71- 78 .... Picking up Max was an easy entry into the market for them as it doubled their range in 1975 .

I did the White Scout car when it came out , it seemed awfully complex for an 8 year old . 

Talking of reboxing , I have a recent Zvezda boxing of the White SC in the stash , it's now apparently 1/35 scale ......& looks pretty basic 45 years later :rofl:

A wonderful recollection of mine, is the Tamiya Walker Bulldog, the very first armor kit from Tamiya that I ever encountered. I remember being absolutely stunned by the incredible detail of the time, especially compared to the Aurora armor kits I had done previously, back in the days of my youth, when I referred to every Panzer as a Tiger.

On 1/3/2021 at 8:38 AM, DeanKB said:

I fear these will sell like English rugby shirts, in Cardiff, just after Wales beat England 30-3 in the last game of the Six Nations.

Based on Wales performance against England over the last XX years its going to be a looooooong wait before we see a score of that nature. The other way around, yep, can see that alright.

Happy days and yakey daw