Border Model 1/35!!! New Bf-109G-6 and Ju-87G

Jan_G

34 minutes ago, ChuckD said:

Okay, I rescind my previous statement and amend it to: "why manufacturers never settled on 1/3x as the standard is beyond me."  :)

My point is that I'd love to have one common large scale for ground vehicles and aircraft.  1/32, 1/35... I don't care what it is, as long as everything is the same.

It used to be 1/32nd was common to both a/c and AFV's. Airfix & Monogram both used to offer 1/32nd AFV's. Then Tamiya came out with 1/35th ( I believe it was a math error in reality ) and as they were better quality, that scale took hold. 

Not sure what’s so weird about a 1/35 fighter; armour guys like myself were almost foaming at the bit when 1/35 Junkers Ju 52 was announced... then failed to arrive. I’m sure if it was “The Plane” you were always waiting for, you’d be in for one. That said, I’d like more 1/35 helicopters, please. Just to bring some balance to the force, GWH are doing a 1/32 P40B.

Edited by NewtonK
Balance

2 hours ago, ChuckD said:

Okay, I rescind my previous statement and amend it to: "why manufacturers never settled on 1/3x as the standard is beyond me."  :)

My point is that I'd love to have one common large scale for ground vehicles and aircraft.  1/32, 1/35... I don't care what it is, as long as everything is the same.

Actually this was the thing that bugged me when I first got back into modelling. It would be nice if it was all one scale and not the other - either way!

When I was a kid I didn't know - or care - what scales were ... as i glued together, painted and then ran around making engine and machine gun noises.

For me it was sort of important to have my Bf.110 night fighter in the same scale as my Lancaster for my own visual experience in my playtime drama ... but other than that I didn't give a rats rear end.

When I first got back into modelling I started with LS Panzers ... and then moved into aircraft ... at that stage I only had about 8 Panzers ... but it frustrated me that there was a scale difference. In the end I decided that the scale difference between a Pz.III.E and a Bf.109E was going to be minimal in that a figurine representing the same height would only be about 5mm different in either scale. My thought was meh - I'm not THAT picky.

I suppose during the world economic boom years - when Dragon came into prominence (with their ridiculous 12 new 1/35 armour kits per month or something) - THAT would have been the perfect time for a scale reset moving from 1/35 to 1/32 ... they could have shifted everything with the sheer volume of kits coming out and then companies like Meng, Takom, Rye Field Model, Border etc probably would have followed suit. Sad that it hasn't happened ... but in the grand scheme of things I don't suppose it matters all that much.

Rog :)

Two useless thoughts from me:

1) There are already two standard scales for vehicles and planes - 1/72, 1/48. (Not certain about 1/144). It's just the large scales that can't get their act together.

2) Wait until these new kits are in your hands. They may have measured wrong and they are actually 1/32. Don't say it has never happened before...

You only need to look at car models for confusing scales. 

The overwhelming majority of model cars are in scale 1/24, but Tamiya decided to use 1/20 for their "open wheel" racing cars. Tamiya did that even though they make plenty of car models in scale 1/24, including plenty of racing cars. It is not possible to have a consistent-scale collection of Tamiya Formula 1 and Le Mans models. It is utterly baffling. Attempts were made by others (Gunze, Hasegawa, Revell) to make "open wheel" model cars in scale 1/24 but that never seemed to "catch on". 

And then there is scale 1/43 for cars. They picked that number out of a hat. 

Radu

5 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

It would probably have been a better idea to start up a series of 1/32nd airfield & support vehicles than try and start a series of 1/35th aircraft.

You hit the nail Ray! Actually, that range does not need to be that large to cover most of the scope. A line of a dozen of vehicles covering WW2 German, Japanese, US and Brit vehicles would satisfy 90% of modellers!

And by the way if it is not that difficult to release 1/35 planes when 1/32 molds exist, the opposite should be possible for support vehicles! Trumpyboss have a 1/35 fuel GMC in their range...

I’m not that fussed about more ‘109s or Ju87s, but If someone were to produce a kit

of an aeroplane that I both love, hasn’t been done elsewhere, and it’s sufficiently large and imposing when finished, then I don’t care that it’s in 1/35. 
F-111, Jaguar, Mig-25, F-22, Rafale, Gripen, will do me for a few years. *Hint hint to manufacturers*

8 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

You hit the nail Ray! Actually, that range does not need to be that large to cover most of the scope. A line of a dozen of vehicles covering WW2 German, Japanese, US and Brit vehicles would satisfy 90% of modellers!

And by the way if it is not that difficult to release 1/35 planes when 1/32 molds exist, the opposite should be possible for support vehicles! Trumpyboss have a 1/35 fuel GMC in their range...

They will no doubt sell far more 1/35 aeroplanes to dedicated armour modellers than airfield trucks to the odd aircraft modeller , and for far less investment in tooling . 

I've never really understood why the modelling world locked in on scales that were 'Imperial' in origin anyway?

1/144 = 1 inch to 12 feet

1/72 = 1 inch to 6 Feet

1/48 = 1 inch to 4 feet.

1/32 is logical, it is just fractional progression. 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32.  Maybe 1/72 and 1/144 should be replaced with 1/64 and 1/128?

As for a 1/35 Bf109 and Stuka, why the heck not?