Airfix 1:24 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1a

Riddo

26 minutes ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Last I heard, Airfix announced that they would not be retooling their old releases.  I read that sometime around the release of the Hellcat.

I think that's a great pity.  The Spitfire and Messerschmitt in particular are definitely worn out.  Detail is crude and badly needs updating.  OR, perhaps they'll release later versions of both planes molded to the present standard.  I'd be happy with that.

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you!

29 minutes ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Last I heard, Airfix announced that they would not be retooling their old releases.  I read that sometime around the release of the Hellcat.

I think that's a great pity.  The Spitfire and Messerschmitt in particular are definitely worn out.  Detail is crude and badly needs updating.  OR, perhaps they'll release later versions of both planes molded to the present standard.  I'd be happy with that.

Cheers,

Michael

I have Airfix's 1/24 Hellcat.  It is a beautiful kit-very crisp and finely molded.

2 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Cheers,

Michael

Financially they are still trying to trade their way back to a profit as far as I know ( Telegraph recently reported lockdown was helping )  . I suspect this will put a brake on any development cash that doesn't grow the business short term .

The old 1/24 Spit kit was released in 1970 ....30 years after the real spiifire was flying . The same kit is now 50 years old ...and still being retailed for £50 ,those assets aren't sweaty they are positively drenched B) an accountant's dream .

I also suspect it's quite shrewd from a marketing perspective as well, putting stuff out in the old Roy Cross 1970's livery , direct nostalgic appeal to people in their middle ages who remember them from yesteryear, not because it's a great kit . Airfix don't even pretend to try to jazz them up with PE or other goodies because they know it won'tprobably wont appeal to the target market. Whilst they still sell and it's this or the Trumpy one  , no financial impetus to re tool .

What is good for me however is that they managed to get out the Hellcat in 2019 , hopefully a sign that they feel it's worth worth putting out new 1/24 , or possibly it was too far advanced a project to cancel . 

8 hours ago, Riddo said:

Thankyou for the tip, just ordered one.

Hi Riddo:  I have some additional suggestions.  I save my kit instructions (as well as notes, color prints (copying machine) of aircraft, etc.) in a large binder with dividers by letter (A-Z).  I also save my spare parts in a tool box (for nuts and screws) because we never know when we may need them in the future.  When I start a new project, I inspect the kit to see if any parts are missing and will either contact the seller or the manufacturer requesting the missing part.  I also skim/read the instructions to a feel for the build and wash (in soap and water) and dry the kit before I begin.  This may sound like I have OCD, but it pays dividends.  I prime the model (piecemeal) with gray primer spray paint (Tamiya, Gunze-Mr. Color, Airfix, etc.) for better paint adhesion.   I also brush paint small parts with gray primer.  You can use white primer too.  If you decide to prime your aircraft and apply enamel hobby paint, I would recommend allowing at 24-36 hours (maybe more) for the enamel paint to fully dry.  Also, this is important if you apply a gloss coat for decal application.  

I apply gloss coat spray (Tamiya, Model Master/Testors) for an even surface to apply decals.  Then I apply MicroSet with a brush where I actually the decal to soften and position the decal, and then apply MicroSol by brush over the decal so the decal will conform to the model surface.  After applying my decals have been applied, I apply dull coat spray.  Some aircraft had a glossy surface (late war Hellcat-early war Japanese Zero A6M2) so I would review the instructions or research to see what the finish was.  I don't apply clear parts until after I dull the aircraft but that is a personal choice depending on whether you used canopy masking.  Again this is a personal choice.  Good luck and all the best, George

I managed to get a bit done last night, i wont post every single picture as I don't want to bore you all.

Having filled the sink marks in the propeller as advised, sanded, primed and first coat of paint upon it.

IMG_2002.jpg

I also managed to start to pimp up the engine block, having done all the filling and a base coat.

IMG-2001.jpg

IMG-2000.jpg

A long long long way to go me thinks! Despite the UK being in a full lock down, I'm really busy with work so by the time I finish I'm struggling to get onto the build. I guess that's something you all have to struggle with for one reason or another. 

I finally settled on the website Postimage in the end to host the photos.

Really enjoying it though and appreciate all of the friendly advice, great community here I think.

The sequence of painting parts and building is also a head scratcher as well, but, I guess that comes with experience, as a kid you wasn't so fussed! 

Edited by Riddo

31 minutes ago, George said:

Hi Riddo:  I have some additional suggestions.  I save my kit instructions (as well as notes, color prints (copying machine) of aircraft, etc.) in a large binder with dividers by letter (A-Z).  I also save my spare parts in a tool box (for nuts and screws) because we never know when we may need them in the future.  When I start a new project, I inspect the kit to see if any parts are missing and will either contact the seller or the manufacturer requesting the missing part.  I also skim/read the instructions to a feel for the build and wash (in soap and water) and dry the kit before I begin.  This may sound like I have OCD, but it pays dividends.  I prime the model (piecemeal) with gray primer spray paint (Tamiya, Gunze-Mr. Color, Airfix, etc.) for better paint adhesion.   I also brush paint small parts with gray primer.  You can use white primer too.  If you decide to prime your aircraft and apply enamel hobby paint, I would recommend allowing at 24-36 hours (maybe more) for the enamel paint to fully dry.  Also, this is important if you apply a gloss coat for decal application.  

I apply gloss coat spray (Tamiya, Model Master/Testors) for an even surface to apply decals.  Then I apply MicroSet with a brush where I actually the decal to soften and position the decal, and then apply MicroSol by brush over the decal so the decal will conform to the model surface.  After applying my decals have been applied, I apply dull coat spray.  Some aircraft had a glossy surface (late war Hellcat-early war Japanese Zero A6M2) so I would review the instructions or research to see what the finish was.  I don't apply clear parts until after I dull the aircraft but that is a personal choice depending on whether you used canopy masking.  Again this is a personal choice.  Good luck and all the best, George

Hi George, many thanks for that, very helpful and is appreciated. I hadn't thought of washing the parts first, but will do so before I go any further. I will also take your advice of the other areas. Take care and keep safe.

5 hours ago, Riddo said:

Hi George, many thanks for that, very helpful and is appreciated. I hadn't thought of washing the parts first, but will do so before I go any further. I will also take your advice of the other areas. Take care and keep safe.

Hi Reddo.  You are welcome!  Best, George

On 1/5/2021 at 9:57 PM, George said:

I have Airfix's 1/24 Hellcat.  It is a beautiful kit-very crisp and finely molded.

According to Hornby customer service, the 1/24 Spitfire Mk1a will NOT be retooled.  In fact, none of the old tool 1/24 aircraft will be retooled. :-(

I've decided on this build not to purchase the motor and engine sound upgrade, I just think that I've got so much to concentrate on and build my skill level up on, that I should leave it for my next build.

I've managed to do a bit more work on the engine, filling, sanding, and refining were the kits doesn't fit well. the time I've spent so far I've really enjoyed.

Washed, and undercoated.

IMG-2004.jpg

IMG-2005.jpg

IMG-2006.jpg

Edited by Riddo