Airfix 1:24 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1a

Riddo

21 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

Photos look fine, you might want to try a free image hosting service that many of us use

called Imgur  https://imgur.com/  It's pretty simple.

Riddo, welcome back to this great hobby. I have been building on and off since I was ....oh...seven or so (starting with those tiny LS 1/144 kits). Looks like a great start of a classic model. I can second the simplicity of Imgur. You can upload you pics and easily crop and resize from within Imgur, and use a direct link to insert images here.

8 minutes ago, Grunticus said:

Riddo, welcome back to this great hobby. I have been building on and off since I was ....oh...seven or so (starting with those tiny LS 1/144 kits). Looks like a great start of a classic model. I can second the simplicity of Imgur. You can upload you pics and easily crop and resize from within Imgur, and use a direct link to insert images here.

Thankyou - I will have a look at Imgur later this evening, sound like this will be the answer. 

Congratulations and welcome back to scale modeling.  I have some recommendations for building your Spitfire Mk1A.  I may eventually purchase a reissued Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk1A when it is rereleased sometime this year.  I am hoping that this model is also retooled.  If you are going to paint the model by brush I would recommend using acrylic hobby paints for RAF Dark Earth, RAF Dark Green, RAF Sky and RAF Interior Gray-Green.  Mr. Hobby (H72, H73, and H74) and AK Interactive (AK Interactive 2010 Air Series: RAF Camouflages Acrylic Paint Set (Set of 8)) make these colors.  Lacquer paints are good for spraying, dry fast and produce a nice finish.  I suppose you could use Tamiya's RAF Dark Earth (AS-22) and RAF Green (AS-30) in spray cans and camouflage masks from Top Notch (https://topnotch-success.net/vinyl-masks/camouflage/raf/spitfire-mk-i-v-cammo-masks/).   Some good modeling guides include: Osprey Modeling Manuals: Supermarine Spitfire, Squadron Signal Spitfire, Merlin Variant Walkaround by Ron McKay, and How to Build Tamiya's 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1.  Good luck!  

8 hours ago, George said:

Congratulations and welcome back to scale modeling.  I have some recommendations for building your Spitfire Mk1A.  I may eventually purchase a reissued Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk1A when it is rereleased sometime this year.  I am hoping that this model is also retooled.  If you are going to paint the model by brush I would recommend using acrylic hobby paints for RAF Dark Earth, RAF Dark Green, RAF Sky and RAF Interior Gray-Green.  Mr. Hobby (H72, H73, and H74) and AK Interactive (AK Interactive 2010 Air Series: RAF Camouflages Acrylic Paint Set (Set of 8)) make these colors.  Lacquer paints are good for spraying, dry fast and produce a nice finish.  I suppose you could use Tamiya's RAF Dark Earth (AS-22) and RAF Green (AS-30) in spray cans and camouflage masks from Top Notch (https://topnotch-success.net/vinyl-masks/camouflage/raf/spitfire-mk-i-v-cammo-masks/).   Some good modeling guides include: Osprey Modeling Manuals: Supermarine Spitfire, Squadron Signal Spitfire, Merlin Variant Walkaround by Ron McKay, and How to Build Tamiya's 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.1.  Good luck!  

Hi George,

Thankyou so much for the detailed post. I wasn't able to do much over the weekend SHMBO wanted the Christmas decorations taken down etc etc..... 

I am going to have a proper read of the info you have given me over the next few evenings, and hopefully will do a bit of work on the engine as well.

Regarding the paint SWMBO bought all of the Humbrol paints (Enamel)  listed on the side of the box.  

I am pondering in purchasing the following (before I get to far with the build) https://www.magicscalemodeling.com/shop/Hawker-Hurricane-SOUND-Motors-&-Lights-set-1-24-p166784073

Hi Riddo:  The Hurricane looks good especially with those features.  I would recommend mixing the Humbrol paints well because they tend to sludge if sitting for a long time.  I use a Tamiya device to stir paint especially enamels.  Sounds like you are on your way.  The Squadron Signal books (walkarounds) are very helpful with color photographs of the aircraft interior and exterior.  I think they have one for the Hurricane.  Good Luck.  All the best, George

Hi Riddo , welcome to LSP  & congrats on getting stuck in , I lurked for around 8 years admiring other peoples much better models before bottling up to post any work ! ( I still feel that way most weeks ....) 

+1 on the photos , they look really good . I use postimage ( very simple to use ie - ideal for me ) for pics if you get stuck with Imgur. Never built one of these back in the day , though saw a few knocking around, it's  a real nostalgia hit  . Does the kit still come with rubber tyres ? 

On 1/1/2021 at 3:43 AM, Riddo said:

ok, so I am hoping this works. I Had to create a flickr account, but then copy to Pinterest, I'm sure there must be a more easy method!

Welcome to the forums!  I also re-started the hobby in my mid-50's, having not done it since being a pre-teen.  I've been enjoying it a lot, mainly due to the great advice available from the people on this site.

Regarding posting images, I ended up subscribing to a service called Image Shack.  It's fairly cheap and makes linking to your photos extremely easy.

On the airbrushing front, I'd strongly encourage you to give it a whirl.  Beginner equipment is not terribly expensive and it is a game-changer in terms of what you can do.  That and the availability of CA adhesives are IMO the biggest differences between doing this as a kid and doing it now.

You may want to get a Badger Paint Mixer for those Humbrol enamels.  I bought some Humbrol enamels a few years ago from a local hobby shop and had use my Badger paint mixer because the paint became sludge.  Good luck and all the best, George

3 hours ago, George said:

Does anyone know if the reissued Airfix 1/24 Supermarine Spitfire Mk1A will also be retooled?

Last I heard, Airfix announced that they would not be retooling their old releases.  I read that sometime around the release of the Hellcat.

I think that's a great pity.  The Spitfire and Messerschmitt in particular are definitely worn out.  Detail is crude and badly needs updating.  OR, perhaps they'll release later versions of both planes molded to the present standard.  I'd be happy with that.

Cheers,

Michael

8 hours ago, George said:

You may want to get a Badger Paint Mixer for those Humbrol enamels.  I bought some Humbrol enamels a few years ago from a local hobby shop and had use my Badger paint mixer because the paint became sludge.  Good luck and all the best, George

Thankyou for the tip, just ordered one.