Tamiya 1/12 motorcycle paint recommendations?

AlbertD

I was at the LHS today browsing around and picked up a 1/12 Tamiya bike. Can you guys suggest a good paint brand for a nice gloss finish? Also going to need a good clear coat. I've been using Tamiya X-22 clear for my military models but I'm not sure it's up to a good clear gloss for a bike or race car.

35 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Hobbyworld USA carries it.

I was just going to post that I saw them at hobby world but they are pretty low on stock right now. I did manage to order a few colors that should work fine though. Thanks again. I appreciate your suggestion.

On 1/4/2021 at 6:46 AM, monthebiff said:

Zero paints are fantastic with a great range of colours for specific bikes.

Regards.Andy 

I just got my order of Zero paints yesterday. They didn't have the exact red I needed so I ordered a couple of other reds. They are just ever so slightlydifferent but one looks pretty close to perfect. The racing blue is just right. I'm sure enjoying the break from airplanes. This has been a really fun kit to build. Oh, it's the new Tamiya 1/12 Honda Fireblade. A really beautiful kit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2020 at 9:37 PM, AlbertD said:

I was just going to post that I saw them at hobby world but they are pretty low on stock right now. I did manage to order a few colors that should work fine though. Thanks again. I appreciate your suggestion.

On 1/4/2021 at 6:46 AM, monthebiff said:

Zero paints are fantastic with a great range of colours for specific bikes.

Regards.Andy 

I just sprayed my first Zero Paints today and they went down absolutely beautifully. The Italian Red is a great color too. Tomorrow I'll see how the clear coating goes. I have MRP Super Gloss, Mr. Paint gloss and a 2k gloss from MRP. I was thinking of using one of the 1k clears for the pre-decal coat then do the final finish with the 2k stuff.

Don't tell the hard core LSP guys but this motorcycle kit has been a blast and I have since bought a few more bike kits and even started a collection of aftermarket goodies.

Edited by AlbertD

4 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

I usually use the 1K gloss for the decal coat, then the 2k over the top on cars.  Plus, the 2k allows for polishing without the risks of burning through it like you can find with the 1k stuff.

It's okay, I build F1 cars too.  Sometimes you need a break from the planes.

Matt

Thanks Matt, that's exactly how I will go. The 1k looks pretty nice but it doesn't have that deep crystal clear look that I think the 2k will. I'll do decals tomorrow then give it a day or two and try the 2k. I'll let you guys know how it goes and maybe post a couple of pictures.

After you do the decaling, you might want to give it a quick wipe with a damp cloth to make sure that you remove any leftover setting solutions or dust.

Remember to do multiple coats with the 2K, starting with light tack coats.  Usually needs 3-4 before getting that good shine, then it's all down to polishing and processing it

Matt 

1 hour ago, scvrobeson said:

And if you're using a 2K urethane clear, you can machine polish it using a rotary tool and a felt polishing wheel at low-ish RPM.  Just be careful on edges, and don't push down.

Matt 

I'm going to have to learn on a paint mule before I try that but will. Right now I have the MRP 2k but will eventually try the one from Zero and maybe others. I've been doing each step on an old wing before the bike. Will do the same with 2k and polishing. 

Definitely worth testing on a paint mule first, and starting with hand processing and polishing.  I prefer the Zero Diamond Coat 2K, but I haven't tested the MRP yet.  If you do try machine polishing it, it really needs to be a wireless motor tool, or one that you can really turn the speed down on.  My Mini-Dremel is battery powered, and runs at about 7,000 rpm.  It's definitely fast enough to work the polishing compounds, but nowhere near fast enough to burn through the clear or burn the plastic.

Look forward to seeing your Fireblade.

Matt