I never get tired of Phantoms :)

I can't hotlink the photo and I'm not sure how long this link will stay live, but here is a great shot of an F-4D showing the factory-applied camouflage that's slightly different from the T.O. It also shows the black lacquer paint McDonnell applied to the natural metal areas of the stabilators. Source: Aircraftslides.com

LINK

Ben

55 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

I can't hotlink the photo and I'm not sure how long this link will stay live, but here is a great shot of an F-4D showing the factory-applied camouflage that's slightly different from the T.O. It also shows the black lacquer paint McDonnell applied to the natural metal areas of the stabilators. Source: Aircraftslides.com

LINK

Ben

Interesting picture.  What’s that pod that appears to be mounted in the aft port AIM-7 well?

Some great observations - it’s a tribute to this forum that we have such observant and detail minded members (including SME’s).

What stood out most to me was the USS Oriskany titles (as Peter and Joe explained) - Phantoms were never operationally deployed aboard Essex Class ships, although some aircraft were forced to recover (and subsequently launch) from their decks in critical situations, as we saw earlier in this (great) thread.

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

5 hours ago, easixpedro said:

That's a great, and little known photo.  Back at the start of CAG-16, when all the squadrons were sequentially numbered (VF-161, VF-162, VA-163, VA-164, etc.). This shot is circa 64 following Oriskany's 64 cruise with VF-161--they transitioned from Demons after the deployment. But Phantoms wouldn't be used on the 27C class Essex boats, so VF-161 was replaced by VMF(AW)-212 for Oriskany's 65 cruise. VF-111 would eventually replace them. Nice touch with the 161 Modex for VF-161, but going into the 65 cruise, the Modex's were fairly non-standard too.

Want to know more, you can read "Bloody Sixteen" by me :D 

Just to add to what Peter said. VF-161 commenced their transition, with VF-121/RCVW-12, to the F-4B at the end of July 1964. Their first F-4B was assigned into their custody on August 6, 1964 (BuNo 150651, the subject of the photo posted, and photographed on, I believe, September 12, 1964), however, they wouldn’t receive any more F-4Bs until October and continued their transition using VF-121 F-4A/Bs. The squadron continued to operate Demons throughout this period and remained attached to CVW-16 (AH). In September the last Demons were transferred out (on the 21st of the month) and on October 1, 1964 the squadron detached from CVW-16 and moved under the control of RCVW-12 and continued with their transition training. On October 7, they received a further three F-4Bs (all from VF-121) with a fifth arriving on November 25. Transition to the F-4B was completed on January 4, 1965 and they officially detached from VF-121 on this date, however, they didn’t detach from RCVW-12 and would in fact remain assigned to them until December, 15, 1965. On this date they were assigned to CVW-15 (NL).

150651 being "piped aboard" on September 21, 1964 at Miramar (Robert L. Lawson collection)

150651 AH161 VF161 21SEP64 MIRAMAR copy

Edited by Peter Greengrass

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, John1 said:

Interesting picture.  What’s that pod that appears to be mounted in the aft port AIM-7 well?

Whatever it is is mounted on the centerline.  Note you can see the auxiliary intake door open to the left of whatever that is..

I found a copy of this same pic on my HD just now.   Classic McAir factory camo scheme.  Note the oversized borderless insignia, turbine warning stripe, the very tight feather on the camo, the non-T.O. McAir version of the pattern, and (as noted) the somewhat weathered gloss black lacquer on the inboard panels of the stabs *and* on the forward portion of the exhaust nozzle ring (something that’s never been documented in the model world that I’m aware of).  All classic McAir factory finish.

AvkXUE.jpg

Edited by Jennings Heilig

Have a date for the photo? Squadron? Am wondering if it’s a parachute flare similar to what the USN used for night interdiction sorties. Dive bombing under parachute flares…that’s a great idea, not.

Edited by easixpedro

46 minutes ago, easixpedro said:

Have a date for the photo? Squadron? Am wondering if it’s a parachute flare similar to what the USN used for night interdiction sorties. Dive bombing under parachute flares…that’s a great idea, not.

I can’t make out the squadron badge. The same seller has another F-4D from Lakenheath and a couple from Spangdahlem, so maybe one of those? Date would be late ‘60s. I don’t know exactly what year they started with tail codes, but I think it was ‘68-‘69. The store might be some kind of practice “shape.”

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

No idea of unit or date.  I doubt it’s a parachute flare container.  The F-4Ds were devoted entirely to nuclear strike at that point.  Instant sunshine.

Belongs to the 22nd TFS, 36th TFW, and was assigned to the 36th TFW from June 20, 1968 - April 24, 1973. I would make an educated guess that it was photographed attending the Tactical Weapons Meet at Nörvenich in June 1969. At the very least it would be prior to Spring 1970, as the 36th TFW aircraft were sporting tail codes by then.

Edited by Peter Greengrass

56 minutes ago, Finn said:

It's a SUU-21, with the blunt tail section:

EM3hYHeUwAA3QJQ.jpg

Jari

Awesome photo! But, I don't think the earlier shot of 7509 has a gunpod on the centerline: the diameter is too small and doesn't match the proportions of the gunpod in this shot.

56 minutes ago, cmayer said:

Awesome photo! But, I don't think the earlier shot of 7509 has a gunpod on the centerline: the diameter is too small and doesn't match the proportions of the gunpod in this shot.

Jari is referring to the Suspension Unit Underwing -21/A practice bomb dispenser, not the SUU-23/A Vulcan rotary cannon.

Mostly, the centreline station would have been used to simulate nuclear weapons delivery, lofting or dropping a 25lb BDU-33 blue bomb or high drag Mk.106 orange bomb. 

The pod featured doors (unlike the open-bottomed, squatter SUU-20/A used during training in the US), to mitigate the effects of drag, weather or an accidental drop over a populated area.

Tony 

8 hours ago, Tony T said:

Jari is referring to the Suspension Unit Underwing -21/A practice bomb dispenser, not the SUU-23/A Vulcan rotary cannon.

Mostly, the centreline station would have been used to simulate nuclear weapons delivery, lofting or dropping a 25lb BDU-33 blue bomb or high drag Mk.106 orange bomb. 

The pod featured doors (unlike the open-bottomed, squatter SUU-20/A used during training in the US), to mitigate the effects of drag, weather or an accidental drop over a populated area.

Tony 

Ah, tally-ho! I wondered what an SUU-21 *gunpod* was, as well (assumed that was a typo)...

• 4 weeks later...

Here’s a sneak peek at what’s been keeping me busy (and not a little insane) recently.  Before you get too excited, this is only going to be done in 1/48 scale (for several reasons).  It’s a complete set of McDonnell/McDonnell Douglas factory F-4B/C/D/E/J/RF-4B/C/E stencil decals. Yes, lots of other decal companies have done F-4 stencils before, but not like this! Our research has uncovered a ton of stuff about McAir factory stencils and camouflage finishes that nobody has ever documented, and that nobody else has ever done before. This has turned into a *massive* project, and as usual, we'll cover all the details in our PDF instruction manual. Suffice it to say, if you want to build an accurate 1/48 F-4 that's wearing its original factory camouflage and stencil markings, this will be the sheet for you! Given how tedious and extensive this subject is, we plan to break down our instructions and lay out the decal such that you can take it in very small, easy to manage bites. We'll try to make the instructions as easy to follow, and the process as painless as possible. F-4s from the factory were literally festooned with panel numbers and instructional markings and warnings, and no self-respecting F-4 model should be without them!  I still have a lot of work left to do on it, but we're hoping to have it out sometime this summer (northern hemisphere), and more information will be posted when we have it.S7X63u.jpg

Edited by Jennings Heilig