I never get tired of Phantoms :)

Jennings Heilig

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to rely on only two AIM-9Bs and one AIM-7 in those days.  Having three duds in a row was not that uncommon.  Either the missile didn't fire, didn't track, didn't fuse, or didn't explode.  Very common occurrences in those days.

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to rely on only two AIM-9Bs and one AIM-7 in those days.  Having three duds in a row was not that uncommon.  Either the missile didn't fire, didn't track, didn't fuse, or didn't explode.  Very common occurrences in those days.

PsubK of those missiles was .12 from the Ault Report. Meaning a 10% probability of success every time they squeezed the trigger from 65-68.

First battle damage sustained by VF-21 on 14 April 1965. Whilst conducting road recon over routes 8 & 12 over Laos during an armed recon sortie received  direct hit from a 37mm projectile at 4,500 feet. The damage (Class Bravo) ended its cruise and was off loaded at Cubi before being transported to Japan and subsequently home to North island for overhaul.