I never get tired of Phantoms :)

Jennings Heilig

2 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to rely on only two AIM-9Bs and one AIM-7 in those days.  Having three duds in a row was not that uncommon.  Either the missile didn't fire, didn't track, didn't fuse, or didn't explode.  Very common occurrences in those days.

PsubK of those missiles was .12 from the Ault Report. Meaning a 10% probability of success every time they squeezed the trigger from 65-68.

First battle damage sustained by VF-21 on 14 April 1965. Whilst conducting road recon over routes 8 & 12 over Laos during an armed recon sortie received  direct hit from a 37mm projectile at 4,500 feet. The damage (Class Bravo) ended its cruise and was off loaded at Cubi before being transported to Japan and subsequently home to North island for overhaul.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of takeaways:  The first segment with the midshipman and the signalman was just dumb.  One of the F-4s had a sizable dent in one of its drops.   This was in 66/67 and they were still wearing those horrific orange flight suits on Med cruises.  Heavy 5 made that cruise with its Viggies not long after returning from its first SEA deployment.   The guys working on “the roof” were working their butts off.  All those guys retired a long time ago.  America went to carrier heaven a number of years ago.  Still and all, fun to watch.

35 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

A couple of takeaways:  The first segment with the midshipman and the signalman was just dumb.  One of the F-4s had a sizable dent in one of its drops.   This was in 66/67 and they were still wearing those horrific orange flight suits on Med cruises.  Heavy 5 made that cruise with its Viggies not long after returning from its first SEA deployment.   The guys working on “the roof” were working their butts off.  All those guys retired a long time ago.  America went to carrier heaven a number of years ago.  Still and all, fun to watch.

I remember driving past America when she was sitting at a pier at the Newport, RI Naval Station waiting to be scrapped, I think she sat there for 5 years or so.   A sad sight indeed.  

On a more on-topic note, found this picture while surfing the net looking for info to help my F-4C build.   It's a great shot of a Vietnam-era cockpit.  Note all the grunge behind the instrument panel.

gkrdgNG.png

6 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Now that’s a bit ironic - an F-4 firing rockets while chained to the deck on the Forrestal and all.  Almost spooky.

It was undertaken, on August 16, 1967, as part of the investigation following the fire. 

153010 ZUNI FIRING 1

Edited by Peter Greengrass