I never get tired of Phantoms :)

Jennings Heilig

37 minutes ago, fastterry said:

Is it just my tired old eyes or is the star & bar on the pi##?

TRF

Surprisingly common.  Even from the factory.  A lot of Light Gull Gray over white airplanes, both USN and USAF, had crooked insignias.  And at the depot, anything could, and did happen.  You'd also think, given the very specific instructions on precise placement and letter spacing for "NAVY" on the aft fuselage, that every Navy F-4 would have had it in the same place.  And you'd be wrong.  Different placement of the word, and different spacing between the letters.  

Edited by Jennings Heilig

About a year ago, I was in contact with some company reps that worked at the depot in Cubi Point. The number of airplanes that rolled through there for repair is staggering. Surprisingly though, easily 75% of them were due to corrosion. The combination of stack gas from the ship's boilers (highly corrosive) and general salt water exposure at sea wreaked havoc on aluminum and other substances. They'd patch it, give it a quick respray and pump it back out to whatever carrier was on the line and needed a replacement. Easy way to tell a Cubi respray from a Nippi facility in Atsugi respray is that a/c leaving the Japanese facility usually had Kanji stencils applied along the rescue arrows.

Bottom line, there was a really nasty war being fought and it was all about repairing them and getting them back to the fleet or for the AF to Thailand (from Taipei, which is where the AF depot was). 

11 hours ago, Finn said:

Some details to ponder over:

Vietnam war

Jari

Couple of grapes having a little grab-ass and a plane captain going about his business.  Do those canopies have tension straps?  That would be a first for me after all these years.  For those who don’t know, certain airplanes (A-4 immediately comes to mind) often will have a piece of nylon webbing that pulls the canopy down a bit while on the ground to keep the hinge parts from banging together and being damaged while on the ground or on deck.  This is the first time I’ve ever seen them on an F-4.  Who knew?

3 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

This is the first time I’ve ever seen them on an F-4.  Who knew?

I knew I seen them in at least one other photo, but I have no idea of the time frame of it.

https://imgur.com/TxQRBTx

It's possible I can't post images yet because of permissions?

Edited by C Baldwin

2 hours ago, C Baldwin said:

I knew I seen them in at least one other photo, but I have no idea of the time frame of it.

Craig, 1967.
Here's another with the strap. In the front cockpit, Dan MacIntyre, the only person to successfully egress underwater from an F-4 back in September 1964 following a failed cat-shot.

151513 (PROB - or poss 152245) NL101 VF-151 1965 - Dan McIntyre in front cockpit copy

4 hours ago, Peter Greengrass said:

Craig, 1967.
Here's another with the strap. In the front cockpit, Dan MacIntyre, the only person to successfully egress underwater from an F-4 back in September 1964 following a failed cat-shot.

151513 (PROB - or poss 152245) NL101 VF-151 1965 - Dan McIntyre in front cockpit copy

Also a Mig Killer and Blue Angel, correct? Quite a career!

15 minutes ago, John1 said:

I though the BA’s only flew J-models?

I should have been clearer...my reference was to the pilot, not the aircraft.

His tour with the Blues took place in the early 1960s, when they flew Tigers.

Edited by allthumbs

On 9/1/2021 at 2:34 PM, Oldbaldguy said:

Couple of grapes having a little grab-ass and a plane captain going about his business.  Do those canopies have tension straps?  That would be a first for me after all these years.  For those who don’t know, certain airplanes (A-4 immediately comes to mind) often will have a piece of nylon webbing that pulls the canopy down a bit while on the ground to keep the hinge parts from banging together and being damaged while on the ground or on deck.  This is the first time I’ve ever seen them on an F-4.  Who knew?

They appear to be attached to the canopy forward downlock hook, which suggests they need to be removed before the canopy hoods are locked down.

1 hour ago, Chek said:

They appear to be attached to the canopy forward downlock hook, which suggests they need to be removed before the canopy hoods are locked down.

Yep.  Exactly.  Works the same on other jets that use them.  Plane captain usually puts the straps on when the airplane is back in the chocks.  Canopies really don’t weigh very much and most have a lot of sail area so it doesn’t take much of a breeze to bang one around if it doesn’t have something to hold it in place.  All this, of course, applies mostly to canopies that hinge/pivot  at the rear; sliding canopies wouldn’t have this problem.

On 9/1/2021 at 4:15 PM, Peter Greengrass said:

A *beaufitul* example of a McDonnell factory applied paint job with full stencil data.  Note the copious little white dots applied across the various skin panels.  Classic McAir style early ejection warning triangle and rescue placard, Corogard leading edges on the wings and intakes, and Corogard leading edges on the pylons and on the c/l tank, which also has Corogard stripes forward and aft on it.