I never get tired of Phantoms :)

Jennings Heilig

Hi Phantom Gurus !

While browsing the internet for other references, i felt on a pic of the bird i'm trying to replicate.
Ohhh great was my first reaction.

I then noticed this very same bird is missing its main LG doors on the pic.. during a cat launch preparation.

My question is, was it a common practice during the early days of the Rhino, or just some oddity rarely repeated?

Here is the pic for ref :

TpfkS31.png

As for the catapult strapping procedure, any of you would be willing to share more pics on the hold back bar attachement ? plane and deck ? Hard to find specific ref on the subject.

Cheers.
Mathieu

2 hours ago, MDuv said:

Hi Phantom Gurus !

While browsing the internet for other references, i felt on a pic of the bird i'm trying to replicate.
Ohhh great was my first reaction.

I then noticed this very same bird is missing its main LG doors on the pic.. during a cat launch preparation.

My question is, was it a common practice during the early days of the Rhino, or just some oddity rarely repeated?

Here is the pic for ref :

TpfkS31.png

As for the catapult strapping procedure, any of you would be willing to share more pics on the hold back bar attachement ? plane and deck ? Hard to find specific ref on the subject.

Cheers.
Mathieu

Well, I'll make an educated guess. It's an oddity--and here's my reasoning.  It's taken during Carrier Qualifications (CQ). That's when a squadron/squadron's go out to an available carrier and practice carrier landings to get their aviators qualified. The fact that there's a VF-101 jet behind is the clue. That means that this is taken in 1964 when VF-84 was wrapping up their transition to Phantoms. The last phase of that transition was/is always CQ.  

The part about CQ that leads me to believe this is an oddity is that aircrew just need a functional airplane to get the required number of landings. Note there's absolutely no pylons/weapons/drops. No need during CQ for the aforementioned reason. They're literally booming off the bow, turning downwind and trapping (it's like doing touch and goes). Rinse and repeat until the pilot is qualified. I'm guessing the doors got damaged by the cross-deck pendant (arresting gear wire) and the maintenance folks pulled 'em. I've done CQ where we never brought the gear up, but logged 3 hours in the airplane.

As for the bridle, I'll have to share them when I get home. I'll also see if I have pics of the holdback etc.

Peter

On 8/25/2021 at 4:55 PM, easixpedro said:

Well, I'll make an educated guess. It's an oddity--and here's my reasoning.  It's taken during Carrier Qualifications (CQ). That's when a squadron/squadron's go out to an available carrier and practice carrier landings to get their aviators qualified. The fact that there's a VF-101 jet behind is the clue. That means that this is taken in 1964 when VF-84 was wrapping up their transition to Phantoms. The last phase of that transition was/is always CQ.  

The part about CQ that leads me to believe this is an oddity is that aircrew just need a functional airplane to get the required number of landings. Note there's absolutely no pylons/weapons/drops. No need during CQ for the aforementioned reason. They're literally booming off the bow, turning downwind and trapping (it's like doing touch and goes). Rinse and repeat until the pilot is qualified. I'm guessing the doors got damaged by the cross-deck pendant (arresting gear wire) and the maintenance folks pulled 'em. I've done CQ where we never brought the gear up, but logged 3 hours in the airplane.

As for the bridle, I'll have to share them when I get home. I'll also see if I have pics of the holdback etc.

Peter

Peter: you’re right-on about the CQ aspect of this photo. There are other shots from this series out there in the ether, and all of the VF-84 jets have their main gear doors removed…

The missing gear doors was one of the first things I spotted first time I saw this picture a few years ago…asked on the Facebook Phantom forum if anyone had background. A former Navy Phantom pilot from that early era said the thin/high-pressure tires on the As and early Bs regularly burst during repeated CQ cycles; and the exploding tire debris damaged the gear doors. Easy fix was to just remove the doors during CQs. 

This guy followed up that McDonnell eventually sourced better quality tire sidewalls that didn’t explode on every hard landing and the phenomenon went away within a year or so after the first squadrons had deployed with Phantoms. 

That’s the most believable answer I think I’ve ever seen from a Facebook crowd…

Cheers!

Chris

Edited by cmayer

Hi !
@easixpedro @Jennings Heilig @cmayer, thank you guys for your valuable input.
Indeed I noticed the different coded tail of the other Phantom, but lacked knowledge to interpret this right.
Carrier landing in a new still unknown hot rod bird, with a tyre exploding ... must have been a thing ..

For pleasure, another of the same serie : 

zq6fdc4.jpg

Looks like the same bird in a later scheme, she got her doors back on:

XFABpAa.jpg

Cheers.

Mathieu

Mathieu -

Meant to ask you earlier: notice in the color shots above of BuNo '1506 / Modex 200 (in the 'early' VF-84 scheme), it is equipped with the actual IRST sensor in the chin fairing on the radome; then on the B&W shot, in the later version of the VF-84 markings (black tail), it has the "short" dummy cap on the chin fairing.

The common plastic molding on virtually every F-4B/C model (except maybe the 1960's version of the 1/72 Airfix kit) has the "long" APR-25 antenna cap on the chin fairing, including the 1/32 Tamiya kit.

Are you planning to model the IRST sensor on your Tamiya model?  I would really love to see someone catch that detail and bring it out on their model...

Love how your model is going so far, enjoying watching it.

Cheers!
Chris

On 8/29/2021 at 1:47 AM, cmayer said:

Mathieu -

Meant to ask you earlier: notice in the color shots above of BuNo '1506 / Modex 200 (in the 'early' VF-84 scheme), it is equipped with the actual IRST sensor in the chin fairing on the radome; then on the B&W shot, in the later version of the VF-84 markings (black tail), it has the "short" dummy cap on the chin fairing.

The common plastic molding on virtually every F-4B/C model (except maybe the 1960's version of the 1/72 Airfix kit) has the "long" APR-25 antenna cap on the chin fairing, including the 1/32 Tamiya kit.

Are you planning to model the IRST sensor on your Tamiya model?  I would really love to see someone catch that detail and bring it out on their model...

Love how your model is going so far, enjoying watching it.

Cheers!
Chris

Hi Chris,
Actually I have to thank you for pointing this detail out.
I had not yet looked at this area of the build, and had not noticed the detail.
It looks like i'll have to cut the chin fairing front, remove some lenght and  replace the solid cap by a clear one, with some detail behind.
Will dig more into it before commiting, hoperfully, daco's book seems to have some reference on the matter.
Best regards
Mathieu

Edited by MDuv

Nice! I don't have the Daco book; but I do have some references I can send you that show the access seams on the radome, as well as the exposed portion of the IRST. Basically a parallel cylinder housing, with a mirror-coated glass ball to house/protect the IR sensor which gimbals under the mirrored glass portion. I'll send you my contact info via direct message and I can send you some photos, etc.

Cheers!
Chris