I never get tired of Phantoms :)

I did see those F-4E's painted like that! I was stationed at Travis and would fly through Elmendorf.

I also liked the Alaska Air Command patch the crews wore and had on the tail. In base ops they

had pictures of them flying with the TU-95 Bear bombers. I miss the Phantom as well. And the shark mouthed

E's and G's of the 3rd TFW at Clark AB. 

Happy New Year and cheers! Ron

I do believe that 661 is on a pole in front of the guard bureau at Andrews AFB (or whatever it's called now)

If it is (and I can't remember) then I re-enlisted under that F-4 for my last enlistment. I wanted to do it with

a MIG killer Phantom! My first re-enlistment was under the tail of the C-5A at Clark AB...YES...there was San Miguel 

involved!  Very cool pictures of the Phantom! 

Happy New Years and cheers...Ron!

Maybe someday...  After really getting into the weeds on F-4 shapes and details, I'm even less impressed with the Tamiya kit than I was before.  Those BDR patches are the very least of its problems.  Here's hoping someone will grace us with a new family of 1/32 Phantoms like what ZM is doing in 1/48 (only including the F-4B/N and RF-4s).  Fingers crossed!

As far as I can tell, ZM only need to realise the F-4 canopy area is bowed out in the middle.

Not straight parallel rails as they have it in their revised F-4 fuselage seen on their 1/48 F-4E kit.

Correct that and they can pantograph it up to 1/32 as quick as they like.

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Maybe someday...  After really getting into the weeds on F-4 shapes and details, I'm even less impressed with the Tamiya kit than I was before.  Those BDR patches are the very least of its problems.  Here's hoping someone will grace us with a new family of 1/32 Phantoms like what ZM is doing in 1/48 (only including the F-4B/N and RF-4s).  Fingers crossed!

Any suggestions as to things I can still fix on my Brit one before it is too late?

Laying kit scans over drawings/ and long focal length pics seem to show much of it is actually suited to a Brit Phantom anyway, especially the shoulder being a little high for a US one its about right for a Brit one.  Not that anyone would really notice except a few.

I am going to lengthen the nose of mine 2mm as well as shorten the radome the same amount.  This will help a lot as I think the rest is not too (for my purposes that is)bad IMHO.

Keep coming up with your research, it is very interesting!  I am fast becoming a lover of the mighty Phantom!

24 minutes ago, Chek said:

Speaking of noses, have you seen this yet Anthony? Dimensions were taken from the YF-4J 151473 but are common to all short nose Phantoms.

50788132971_7bc4dc5077_b.jpg

NOW thats a brilliant photo and measurements, thank you!  I will definitely be using that when I get to the nose to confirm some stuff....thank you!

That's precisely how I created my drawings.  Use known dimensions from factory documentation (verified in all cases), then photograph things with the least physically possible distortion using a combination of optics and optimal placement of the camera (a very tall stepladder was involved, at risk of life and limb and sunburn at Pima), which are then used to establish precise shapes, angles, curves, etc.